AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm a first time buyer needing advice deciding on a Receiver and Speakers (fronts and center channel). Going to be listening to music (everything from classical to techno) 70% of the time with movie watching making up the remaining 30%. Working with a $2K budget. Music room size 19x16 feet. Have found the following so far.

AV Receivers
  • Denon AVR-3311CI 7.2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver with HDMI 1.4a – Amazon’s throwing in KEF KHT1005.2GB 5.1 Subwoofer Satellite System with KUBE-1 (Gloss Black) for free if I busy this receiver from them before 12/31.
  • Denon AVR3310CI 7.1-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver
  • The Denon AVR4310CI 7.1-Channel Multi-Zone Home Theater Receiver with Networking Capability and 1080p

Would want to get a Receiver that can be hard wired to the net for Pandora etc. Looking at 7.1/7.2 to make home theatre upgrade easier.

Front Speakers
  • MartinLogan Motion 12 Floorstanding Speaker (Black Ash, each)
  • KEF iQ90BL Floor Standing Speaker
  • KEF C7 Floor Standing Speaker
  • Klipsch WF-34 Icon W Series Furniture-Grade Floorstanding Speaker
  • Klipsch Reference Series RF-82 - Left / right channel speaker
  • Klipsch RF-52 II Black (Ea) Floorstanding Speaker


I'm considering getting a center channel for right now and not getting a sub.


Completely open to any advice and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance for all your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
the somewhat general rule for audio budgeting is 1/3rd for electronics, 2/3rds for speakers. Have you auditioned any of the speakers listed ?


Klipsch loaded horn technology is quite different from conventional mid/tweeter design and many folks either love it or hate it.


There is no right or wrong answer on the speakers listed, all are good....it just depends on what sounds best to YOU.


If you are even considering using the setup for a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater 30% or more of the time, then do buy the matching center to the left and right front so the "front 3" will timbre match. As speaker series change over time, it can be difficult to buy a matching center several years down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
let "your ears" be your best guide,,


we all have our best system and love spending others money,, honest opinions are given but I have listen to friends systems they think are KILLERS and personally would not have them in my HT room,,


a good dealer will offer various set ups to assist you,,


take your time and get it right the first time,, \\



Derry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Apparently you can get PSB Image T65's and a C40 center for under $1K from Audio Adviser (I've never shopped there). That will be hard to beat in this price range and would probably allow you to go 5.1 immediately.


I think Paradigm's SE series might fit your budget as well, Revel Concerta series might push it, Monitor Audio's RX (or RS if you can find it there would be deals) line is worth looking into as well.


Good luck and have fun auditioning!


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your response, Ronaldo. You seem to be a fellow Seattlelite. I have a 4 PM appointment setup at Tune in Belltown this saturday (12/4) to audition a few speakers.


Any recommendations on where else I should go for auditioning in and arond the Seattle area? I was planning on hitting Magnolia and Best Buy in Bellevue after Tune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfathervito /forum/post/19575850


Thanks for your response, Ronaldo. You seem to be a fellow Seattlelite. I have a 4 PM appointment setup at Tune in Belltown this saturday (12/4) to audition a few speakers.


Any recommendations on where else I should go for auditioning in and arond the Seattle area? I was planning on hitting Magnolia and Best Buy in Bellevue after Tune.

Don't bother with Best Buy, after Magnolia head to Definitive Audio across the street (assuming Bellevue) - better yet, stay in Seattle.


65th & Roosevelt - 63rd is affectionately known as "hi-fi row." Home of the original Magnolia HiFi, next to it is Speakerlab where the have Dali, Dynaudio, and according to their web site Revel which is news to me, and next is Definitive Audio with PSB & Paradigm.


Magnolia is now the most "salesy" of the places, Speakerlab has pretty straight shooters, and Definitive has true believers who will preach the gospel of cable and high end electronics if you let them - they're still nice to you if you're nice to them.


Next is Ballard with Resolution Audio, they have KEF and the pretty highly regarded (but not by me) Usher as well as some fun stuff like Harbeth & Avalon Acoustics - they like vinyl and tubes there but audition through the set-up in front.


Bring your own music and have fun - do let the salespeople show you their favorites as well.


Ron
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top