AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I am going to be demo'ing my basement and am looking to put together a home theater system. My house is a raised ranch. The basement area I am going to use for the theater is ~ 13' x 13' x 7.5', with about an additional 7 feet behind the edge of the seating because of storage and stairs, etc. I will be wiring everything into the walls so no wires will be visible.

I just recently picked up a Samsung 52" LCD (LN52A750), a PS3, and Direct TV HD. The problem I am having is picking out the receiver and speakers. I had recently been looking at Aperion speakers, which look like great speakers. I had also been looking at Denon receivers, specifically the 1909 and 2309. I found package deals at 6th Ave Electronics: one is the Denon 2309 paired with KEF 3005SE 5.1 speakers for $1789, and Denon 1909 paired with KEF 1005 5.1 speakers for $988.

Right now my head is spinning trying to come up with a system that sound great in the small area I will be using, and not going overboard. I would greatly appreciate it if any of the experts out there could help me out with recommendations for a receiver/speaker set up appropriate for the room size and components that I already have. I've tried searching through the forum, but I think I'm on information overload right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twysk /forum/post/15587055

Right now my head is spinning trying to come up with a system that sound great in the small area I will be using, and not going overboard. I've tried searching through the forum, but I think I'm on information overload right now.

Thanks!

And with all the subjective opinions and available gear, that's not uncommon. We should start with a couple of questions.

What's your maximum budget....the number you absolutely positively won't exceed including the hidden stuff like tax and shipping?

It sounds like small wall mounted speakers appeal to you as opposed to stand mounted bookshelf speakers or floortanding towers. Could you clear this up?

How important are asthetics to you?

Will the TV be wall mounted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the TV will be wall mounted. And yes, I'm looking for small wall mounted speakers. I have little kids running around and I want to eliminate any "accidents" that may occur.

I would say the maximum I would spend would be the under $2000 range. I've been looking at systems (meaning receiver and speaker) that are in the $1200-1400 range, and wondering if they would be adequate. For instance, I was looking at pairing a Denon 1909 with a set of EMP 351 bookshelf speakers from Audioholics.com, which would be about $1100. I was also looking at a Denon 2309 with KEF 3005SE speakers from 6ave.com for $1789. Aperions 4 series look good for $1179, too. I am willing to spend the little extra if necessary, but I could live with the cheaper stuff if it meets the needs.

As far as aesthetics, it is not the most important consideration. Although, my wife may chime in on that, too. As long as were not talking fluorescent green or pink, I'm pretty open. Preferably black.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That's what i thought and a smart choice with the kids. You will have some kind of a cabinet/stand under the TV i imagine for the receiver and center channel speaker?

As far as receivers, the Pioneer VSX-1018 will give you everything you need in one complete package including great Video processing and upscaling, decoding of all the latest High Def Audio formats on BlueRay as well as a great amplifier section based on the Elite series of products. See the Link

http://www.jr.com/pioneer/pe/PIO_VSX1018AHK/

As for speakers, one convenient package from SVS which includes 4 matched speakers, a center channel and a world class subwoofer, all wall mountable and black with excellent SQ and waves of 4 star reviews. See link

http://svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

If you go with the SVS package, choose the sub upgrade and call and ask for the PC12-NSD cylinder sub instead. The Driver will be out of reach of little hands and the ports won't get regular Toy deposits ( been there). They also have wall mounts available for the sattelite speakers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. One other concern that I just came up with is that the walkthrough area between my sofa and one of the walls where I will be mounting a rear speaker is about 40" and the ceilings are only 7.5 feet. This means that most of the speakers that have been recommended will be sitting approximately 6 to 6.5 feet from the ground and stick out into the walkthrough anywhere from 6 to 12 inches. It won't affect me, but I have friends and family that are 6 foot 5 inches. Sounds like some possible Emergency Room trips.

I have to wonder if I may be limited to in wall rear speakers. Any other opinions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts