AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two stereo set ups that have the same problem.

One is an Onkyo connected to Bose AM-5 speakers.

The other is a smaller Onkyo connected to Bose AM-3 speakers.

The problem is that when I turn on the receiver, sound only goes to one left channel unless I crank it way up and then the right channel comes in and plays normal (once in a while flutters in and out but normal about 95% of the time). The other stereo set up is the same except the left channel needs to be cranked before it works (and it stays on at all times).

Since both receivers are the same brand and both speakers are the same brand, it makes it hard to deduce the problem. I did try switching the left and right speakers on the AM-3 set up and that didn't change anything, which leads me to believe that this is a receiver problem.

If the receiver is the problem, what can be done other than replacing them?

I forgot to mention that both set ups are about 12 years old and the problem has been the same for at least a year.

I appreciate any suggestions here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sure I'll be flogged for suggesting this but if you want an objective speaker test, stick a AA battery across the speaker wires (disconnect from the amp). You can even scrape one of the leads on the battery - you'll hear a static type noise. Don't worry about damaging the speaker, but if you're uncomfortable doing this DON'T - I don't want to be blamed for something.

If both speakers make similar noises / volumes you got an amplifier problem. Just hard believe that two amps would fail the same way - statistically the odds are pretty high. I'd look at the connections especially if the speakers are prewired from L to R speakers (amplifier only connects to one speaker, the other speaker is prewired to the "main" speaker).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.