AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Sony STR-DH800 set up with a set of Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers. I've heard that the Polk speakers are typically classified as "bright". I don't have enough A/V experience to say that myself, but it's what I've heard. Everything is connected using HDMI cables. I ran the autocalibration last night, but then made a few slight adjustments. One note...the system wouldn't let me restore the factory settings as outlined in the manual. I don't think it's a huge deal, but if it should work, then I'd like for it to work just in case.

Anyway, it sounds okay. The thing that's bothering me is that the center channel sounds weird. It sounds slightly distant and as if it's coming through a walkie-talkie. I can't explain it much better than that. I guess it's not terrible, meaning it doesn't sound like something is defective, but just kind of "boxy". I did try changing the distance of that speaker, but it didn't seem to help much.

I'm wondering if this is just not the best pairing? Maybe since Yamaha and Denon receivers are considered to be "warm" that maybe it would help fill out the sound a bit better with the Polk speakers? Or could this be an issue of how the different settings are currently set? I'm not real familiar with the crossover setting, so could that be part of it?

I'm really starting to consider taking the receiver back for the Yamaha RX-V665, but I want to make sure I've given the Sony a chance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

imo, the sound from the center speaker has MUCH more to do with:

- it's positioning and how your room is set up...

- how it's calibrated

- the speaker itself

than what avr is driving it...

tell us how your room is set up (where the speakers are, are there rugs, etc.) and we can help....

but you should start by disabusing yourself of the notion that swapping out the avr will help...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...the room is about 15x19. The system is on one long wall side and our primary seating area is on the opposite wall. The tv, center, and r/l front speakers are on the top of the stand all within a few feet of each other. The room is carpeted and only has one couch.

I ran the auto calibration, but then shortened some of the distances after listening for a few minutes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I may have figured it out. First of all, I think I remember seeing somewhere that 80 is a good starting point for the crossover to be set for all the satellites. I changed that first. Then, when I went to see if the speakers were set to small or large, I found that I could set the front l/r speakers to small, but I didn't have the option to change any of the others. I messed around with it a bit and got into the screen to change them all to small.

All of that seemed to make a huge difference. I'm much happier with it now.

I'm still not completely sure that I shouldn't try the Yamaha RX-V665 (I'm also not sure I want to spend that much more...I don't need the extra features, but I'm considering the sound of the Yamaha vs. the Sony), but I'm planning to give the Sony a bit more of a try.

Now I just have to figure out whether to keep the surround speakers mounted on the wall behind/slightly above the couch (the couch is about 6 inches from the wall), or mounted on stands on each side of the couch. They look better on the wall and then I don't have to deal with the stands being in the way, but it sounds slightly better to the sides.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Raising the satellites crossover to 80hz is indeed a good starting number as it lets the sub do the low bass processing which it's better designed to do. Are the surround speakers facing the front wall or are they on mounting brackets that you can adjust to have them face the couch? If the former, then either placing them on stands or using adjustable mounting brackets would be more ideal as you noted yourself and especially as they are in placement as "side" surrounds, not "rear" surrounds. Regarding your center speaker, it would also help to adjust it such that it points upward towards your head rather than just laying it straight on the table having it point towards your legs as it's likely doing now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18166260

Raising the satellites crossover to 80hz is indeed a good starting number as it lets the sub do the low bass processing which it's better designed to do. Are the surround speakers facing the front wall or are they on mounting brackets that you can adjust to have them face the couch? If the former, then either placing them on stands or using adjustable mounting brackets would be more ideal as you noted yourself and especially as they are in placement as "side" surrounds, not "rear" surrounds. Regarding your center speaker, it would also help to adjust it such that it points upward towards your head rather than just laying it straight on the table having it point towards your legs as it's likely doing now.

Thanks. The surround speakers are facing the front wall and are not on brackets to be able to adjust them. I definitely notice that they sound a bit better on the sides facing in, but I'm trying to see if I can live with them being on the back wall. I guess it's a matter of what we're willing to deal with one way or the other!

Any thoughts on how the Polk Audio speakers pair up with either Sony or Yamaha receivers?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 /forum/post/18166715

Any thoughts on how the Polk Audio speakers pair up with either Sony or Yamaha receivers?

As others have already mentioned - different electronics will make little or no difference in the sound of your system - its mostly in the speakers that will make a difference. Want a different sound? Buy different speakers.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

sure, there's huge differences, i lied to you in my first post...

·
Registered
29,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 /forum/post/18159410

I finally got my Sony STR-DH800 set up with a set of Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers. I've heard that the Polk speakers are typically classified as "bright". I don't have enough A/V experience to say that myself, but it's what I've heard. Everything is connected using HDMI cables. I ran the autocalibration last night, but then made a few slight adjustments. One note...the system wouldn't let me restore the factory settings as outlined in the manual. I don't think it's a huge deal, but if it should work, then I'd like for it to work just in case.

Anyway, it sounds okay. The thing that's bothering me is that the center channel sounds weird. It sounds slightly distant and as if it's coming through a walkie-talkie. I can't explain it much better than that. I guess it's not terrible, meaning it doesn't sound like something is defective, but just kind of "boxy". I did try changing the distance of that speaker, but it didn't seem to help much.

I'm wondering if this is just not the best pairing? Maybe since Yamaha and Denon receivers are considered to be "warm" that maybe it would help fill out the sound a bit better with the Polk speakers? Or could this be an issue of how the different settings are currently set? I'm not real familiar with the crossover setting, so could that be part of it?

I'm really starting to consider taking the receiver back for the Yamaha RX-V665, but I want to make sure I've given the Sony a chance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sometimes its just better for you to test these things out for yourself.

Buy the yammy 665 and test is out for a week with your setup. Then take the loser back.

Quote:
So there shouldn't be any noticeable sound difference between the Sony and the Yamaha?

there will be some differences because all these receivers have tone controls, calibration and eq features, etc. But nobody will be able to tell you whch receiver you'll like better.

Get a couple of them and test in your own environment.

But a better set of speakers will make more of a difference than changing receivers.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 /forum/post/18167801

So there shouldn't be any noticeable sound difference between the Sony and the Yamaha?

There probably will be slight differences.

Which one will sound better? "Better" sound is subjective. Only you can tell us which one sounds better to you.

Don't expect much difference. I imagine you would have a hard time telling them apart in blind-testing, with somebody else switching between them for you.

To improve your sound quality, change speakers first, then correct room deficiencies, and finally look at your electronics once all the major improvements have been made elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts