AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this would be the proper thread to ask this but I figured I'd start here.

For quite some time I've been poking around different threads here getting info on new products for home theater and music listening . I've been looking for a way to enhance my movie/music experience and since there are so many great products out there, I am unsure as to which route to take. I'm stuck wondering if I should upgrade my speakers, subwoofer, or receiver? Being that the receiver is the "brains" of the entire system, I figured I'd post my question here. I guess my question is what part of your home audio system would YOU upgrade to get more out of your movie/music experience? would you upgrade your speakers to get more clarity and detail? your sub, to fill in those nulls and bring out the mid bass punch and low rumbles in movies/music? or would you upgrade your receiver to get a whole new array of sound modes and potentially bring your speakers to a new level? I was hoping that some experts here can chime in and give some insight as to which part of there own system they feel is most important when it comes down to performance in movies/music. Now, I know there's more to it than just plug and play when it comes to subwoofers and speakers. there's a whole set up process of matching sound presure levels, calibration, placement options, room treatments etc.. I do believe I have my system set up in the best possible way considering space and placement options and doing all necessary calibrations and "sub crawl" tests. which is a whole different discussion on its own. Aside from all that technical talk, if you were to want a little more out of your movie/music experience what would YOU upgrade first? Now, I do have a budget of $2,000 (sorry to throw a stick in the spokes) and I do live in Canada so some shipping restriction apply. I appreciate any comments and/or advise on this topic and I am open to all suggestions.

My current system consists of:

Paradigm Monitor 7 V.5 - Fronts

Paradigm cc-290 V.5 - Center

Paradigm mini monitors- rears

Paradigm PW-2100- Subwoofer

Denon 2310ci - receiver

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886  /t/1524057/receiver-speakers-or-sub-which-to-upgrade-to-enhance-your-experience#post_24522430

Not sure if this would be the proper thread to ask this but I figured I'd start here.

For quite some time I've been poking around different threads here getting info on new products for home theater and music listening . I've been looking for a way to enhance my movie/music experience and since there are so many great products out there, I am unsure as to which route to take. I'm stuck wondering if I should upgrade my speakers, subwoofer, or receiver? Being that the receiver is the "brains" of the entire system, I figured I'd post my question here. I guess my question is what part of your home audio system would YOU upgrade to get more out of your movie/music experience? would you upgrade your speakers to get more clarity and detail? your sub, to fill in those nulls and bring out the mid bass punch and low rumbles in movies/music? or would you upgrade your receiver to get a whole new array of sound modes and potentially bring your speakers to a new level? I was hoping that some experts here can chime in and give some insight as to which part of there own system they feel is most important when it comes down to performance in movies/music. Now, I know there's more to it than just plug and play when it comes to subwoofers and speakers. there's a whole set up process of matching sound presure levels, calibration, placement options, room treatments etc.. I do believe I have my system set up in the best possible way considering space and placement options and doing all necessary calibrations and "sub crawl" tests. which is a whole different discussion on its own. Aside from all that technical talk, if you were to want a little more out of your movie/music experience what would YOU upgrade first? Now, I do have a budget of $2,000 (sorry to throw a stick in the spokes) and I do live in Canada so some shipping restriction apply. I appreciate any comments and/or advise on this topic and I am open to all suggestions.

Denon 2310ci - receiver

For me, in order of importance :
  1. Speakers
  2. Subwoofer
  3. Room treatments
  4. Network router
  5. Sources (bluray, media player, etc.)
  6. Receiver

You can sort the above based on what you already have and are happy with, but...

(ducking and covering since this is in the Receivers area).

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886  /t/1524057/receiver-speakers-or-sub-which-to-upgrade-to-enhance-your-experience#post_24522430

Denon 2310ci - receiver

Your best bang for buck upgrades to a system with quality electronics and speakers like this will no doubt be obtained by upgrading the subwoofer and room acoustics.

The Paradigm 10" subwoofer seems a bit pricy for the bass it probably delivers, and similar or a little more money spent at Hsu, Rhythmic or SVS's website will probably give you deeper, cleaner, louder bass which will in turn upgrade the sound quality of the whole system. You may want to keep the Paradigm and use two subwoofers to get more uniform distribution of bass throughout your listening area.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu  /t/1524057/receiver-speakers-or-sub-which-to-upgrade-to-enhance-your-experience#post_24522446

For me, in order of importance :
  1. Speakers
  2. Subwoofer
  3. Room treatments
  4. Network router
  5. Sources (bluray, media player, etc.)
  6. Receiver

You can sort the above based on what you already have and are happy with, but...

(ducking and covering since this is in the Receivers area).
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1524057/receiver-speakers-or-sub-which-to-upgrade-to-enhance-your-experience#post_24522473

Your best bang for buck upgrades to a system with quality electronics and speakers like this will no doubt be obtained by upgrading the subwoofer and room acoustics.

The Paradigm 10" subwoofer seems a bit pricy for the bass it probably delivers, and similar or a little more money spent at Hsu, Rhythmic or SVS's website will probably give you deeper, cleaner, louder bass which will in turn upgrade the sound quality of the whole system. You may want to keep the Paradigm and use two subwoofers to get more uniform distribution of bass throughout your listening area.

Thank you both for your replies. I will take that into consideration. I think I will head back over to the svs pb2000 thread

1 - 4 of 4 Posts