AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Onkyo 605 that fails me for 2 primary reasons: 1. No preouts and 2. Does not decode PS3 PCM (for HD codecs) into 7.1 PLIIx for me.

So I am looking to snag an Emotiva XPA-5 in the near future to really feed my speakers some good power. That upgrade will force me to upgrad the 605 as well.

I've been looking over the 705 and 805, since it seems like either will fit the bill (and can get decent deals on these days). Considering my motives, do I really need the extra power (or other benefits ?) of the 805?

I'm obviously new to the world of seperates (or near seperates in this case). I presume having preouts is all I need to allow hookup to the XPA-5. Outside of the 705 vs 805 options, any other receiver suggestions to fit the bill?? Thanks for any guidance and assistance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You may want to let potential posters know your budget,just a thought. Also,have you considered waiting on the Emotiva UMC-1 or better yet the XMC-1 ? Should have all the features you are needing and then some at $699 and $999 respectively.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coming from purchasing a 605 just about a year ago, I pretty much view the receiver upgrade purchase to be more of a necessary evil. 705 and 805 sets seem to be had for $400-550 range, so I guess that is the range I am looking at.

For what it's worth, the other gear involved is PS3, Pioneer 5008, AV123 ELT525 5.0 and x-omni, SVS PB12 and soon AV123 MFW15.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I would suggest you look for features you need in a receiver and keep in mind the fact that you will need preamp outputs to feed the XPA-5.

I also went with a receiver with my UPA-7. I'm using an HK AVR 247. It works well but may not have all the features you are looking for. It is roughly equivalent to the 605 you now have with one exception, it has preamp outputs.

I bought it from Harman Audio on ebay. They are selling tons of them and the going price is great, around $220 or so, plus shipping.

·
Registered
273 Posts
well, If you were happy with the 605, get the 705. simple.

The biggest difference between the 805 and the 705 is the amplifier section. As you will using this receiver with an outboard amp, this is not a great concern.

3 things to take note of though.

1. The 805 has a phono input, the 705 does not.

2. The 805 has a better headphone amp section, so if you do critical headphone listening, this is something to consider.

3. when listening to DVD-A or SA-CD, the 805 allows you to process DSD directly, instead of PCM with the 705.

So, if any of those 3 are important to you, check out the 805, otherwise, i think the 705 will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts