AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old reliable Marantz SR-19 was stolen recently
and I'll need a new receiver for the new house. It was a fairly simple piece but did it's work without drama or fuss. Speaker is PSB Silver i. Impedance curve bottoms at 3.76 ohm according to audioxpress.com/reviews/media/1101colin.pdf

The Onkyo 1007 appears to be a good match but is somewhat overbudget ($1000 at A4L) as I'd like to stay in the $700 and under range to avoid a testiculectomy from the significant other. The 805/875 seem also well matched but all the funky doodads incorporated into the new breed of receivers are very intriguing....esp the advanced forms of Audyssey. The height channels sound cool too so I'm prewiring for those.

Perhaps a 707 with preouts to an older/used outboard amp for the mains?

Thanks for any help. I know the 'which is the best thread' is overdone but I didn't find many suggestions from the newer gear for this application.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The SR 19 had very good stereo SQ. To match this today (with 4 ohm speakers), I would audition Cambridge Audio 540R or to stay within your budget a demo or used NAD T755

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

If you can find a used or B-Stock TX-SR805, it would perform pretty well with 4 ohm Speakers. The 805 shared the same amplifier section as the TX-SR875. The replacement TX-SR806 no longer shared the same amplifier section as the replacement to the TX-SR875, the TX-SR876.

Here is a Bench Test of the 875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

Again, they share the same amplifier section. The major differences between the two Models is the 875 has the Reon Chip and an additional HDMI input.

Moreover, only the 805 had Audyssey MultEQ XT, and the same Burr Brown DAC's as in the 875 and 905. The TX-SR806 weighs almost 15 pounds less than the TX-SR805. The 806 uses the less powerful Audyssey MultEQ, the same Crystal Dac's from the 700 Series and the aforementioned lighter amplifier block.

I truly believe that the TX-SR805 was the greatest value of the HDMI AVR era.

In addition, only the x05 Series were manufactured in Japan. All models, including the Integra line, is now manufactured in Malaysia.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Great suggestions. I'm prone to falling for non-mainstream brands and the Cambridge sounds very intriguing. The 805/876 sound like they might be the ticket though. I bought my father inlaw a 705 and it's been very good. The Audyssey EQ is an almost must-have from what I have seen.

As for weight difference, it's always been my scientific belief that 48lbs is the threshold to a quality receiver. My wife is hoping for something smaller than the SR19....fat chance.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts