AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

In my setup, I have 6 total speakers that I need to power. 2 ceiling speakers in the master BR, 2 ceiling speakers in the living room, and 2 book shelf speakers in the family room that I would like to use for our TV as well.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on the types of receiver that I can use for this setup? I'd like to keep the price as low as possible as I don't really need all the new features in the latest receivers. It'd be nice if the receiver supported 2 zones so that I can turn off the speakers in the Master and living room if we're just watching TV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
How the heck are you wired? The whole-house I'm familiar with has single quad (2-pair) home runs running from receiver to wall-mounted volume controls for each room in system. Two single pairs then run from volume control to the L and R speakers in each room. The volume controls operate as a constant impedance load to the source, so the receiver "sees" 8 ohms no matter how many volumes controls are turned on or what level the volume is set at.

All that said, the usual prescription for whole-house audio receiver is a relatively powerful one with reasonable performance specs and input facilities. A perennial choice is the Harman Kardon 3480, 3485, or 3490 at around 120W per channel. They are available from $100 used to around $300 brand new. I can recommend the 3490 from personal experience. Hope this helps.

williak

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually not quite sure on how the wiring was done. It was set up by the previous home owner and I'm just trying to use it best I can.

I'll take a look at those receivers that you mentioned. I'm quite open to used and refurbished receivers in case anyone else has suggestions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by williak /forum/post/15530466

I can recommend the 3490 from personal experience.

Since the 3490 only has inputs for 4 speakers in the back, what's the best way for me to connect all 6?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look at the Marantz ZS5300. This unit accepts three analog inputs and supports three rooms with two speakers per room. The amps are a very generous 60 watts per channel. You can chain three of these units together for up to nine rooms.

Each room can play from any of the three sources so they can all have the same music or each can be playing from a different source.

I use these pieces for six rooms in my house. You can order these from accessories4less. Search on the model number. A refurbished unit is listed today for $549.

I've had mine for about 4-5 years with no trouble. The sound quality is surprisingly good.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts