AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm "trying out" an HK 435 that I'm mainly using as a pre-amp. It is a replacement for my older Denon 2802. I wanted to get a dedicated processor, but I decided just to get another receiver to use as a pre-amp instead.

I wanted to stay withing a $600 budget so I ordered an HK 435 mainly to try out the cool EQ and logic 7.

I will give it another week (30 day return) but right now I'm just not sure if I like it. It does sound better than the Denon. The front soundstage is much better IMO, but that EQ is pretty quirky. I think it does something strange to my sub (SVS PB12 plus2) I'm not sure I like the way it makes the bass sound.

Anyway, In case I decide to return it........do you guys have a suggestion for a good receiver that can be used as a decent pre-amp in the $500-600 range? I'm about 95% HT use only in our house.

Something with:

1. Reliability

2. Latest features

3. Ease of use

4. Maybe some sort of HT EQ?

4. Most Importantly great sound

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
4. Most Importantly great sound
For movies or music? I've found that the Pioneer Elite does great for movies and not so great for music. I like H/K when it comes to music. Maybe a Marantz 7500 for you?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I could be wrong, but I own a HK 435 and it does not EQ the sub. Therefore the only thing it would be doing is setting distance and volume. I think the 635 EQ's the sub but not this one.In fact, I even asked HK once...

"The AVR435 EZset/EQ system only affects the speakers, not the sub, when

it comes to EQ'ing."

Straight from the source.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Look into the Pioner VSX-1015tx.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenS
Why would the 635 EQ the sub and not the 435? They have the same EQ feature don't they?
They do. I think it might be one of those "lock out" incentives to get the 635

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.