AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm a newbie to AVS but I feel I'm pretty familial with av equipment. I recently bought a set of klipsch VF-36s for front, Klipsch Quintet iii for the surround and rear speakers, and a 300 watt Klipsch sub to have a 7.1 system. I will eventually get a better center but for now the Quintets will work. I don't have a receiver yet to power my recent purchases. I was looking at a Denon avr-791 and wonder if it is as good as the best buy "advisor" says it is. I'm also looking at Onkyos from newegg. The Onkyos seem like you get the same features at a lower price. I was wondering if you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd also look at the Yamaha RX-V667 and Pioneer 1120. Denon's are great, but IMO, the menus can be a little confusing.

In the price range, the Pioneer offers lots of features, and looks like it's fairly heavy (which is good) at around 30lbs.

The Yamaha appears much improved from last year's model (which appeared to use a cheaper power supply).

Features-wise, the Pioneer 1120 offers what's supposed to be a better upscaling/upconverting chip for video, and has an Ethernet Port for Internet radio (although it's not DLNA compliant, and supposedly you can't stream MP3s or Audio from your local network). It also offers more iPod/iPhone integration supposedly.

If you don't care about 3D or aren't planning on jumping on the 3D bandwagon anytime soon, then looking at an older model may make sense. Onecall has some very nice pricing on several models including the Onkyo RC180, which is an SR807 with a few minor features removed (still very hefty at around 40lbs).

In this price range, it's hard to go wrong with any of the AVRs, I don't think any of them are "bad". They just all have their quirks, strengths/weaknesses like anything else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts