AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am thinking of getting my first receiver. i have been on this forum a lot lately and did some research on the net. here is what i have.

my room size is about 13x15. it is probably a 5.1 setup. the receiver needs to be 3d ready, can handle 1080p, must have hdmi standby passthru, sound quality has higher priority than features. network feature is a nice to have feature, as long as there is a way to do firmware upgrade thru usb, etc. here are what is going to be hooked up to the receiver, xbox, hdtv, blue ray player, a pc, all thru hdmi. i have a fios, too. but it is hooked up via component cable. so, minimum 4 hdmi input is required. my budget is less than $400, preferably 300-350.

i have looked at dennon 1712, yamaha 471,571, pioneer 921, and some onkyo's. i am a bit concerned about onkyo's quality issues, i have seen some thread about that. so, any suggestions?

thanks

jw

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The Onkyo TX-NR609 really is a great value and there have been very few issues reported with the latest x09 Series. Another good choice is the Marantz SR6005 that is available from Accessories4less in both A-Stock and B-Stock (Refurbished) Check out the Review for the 609 in Home Theater Magazine as it did quite well on the Bench Test for Measured Power into 5/7 Channels as well.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
+ 2 for the Onkyo 609. It has everything on your wish list, plus V-Tuner Internet Radio. That is an internet radio feature that offers up to or more than 1,000 internet radio stations from around the world.

Jeff

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
You aren't going to find a receiver for your budget by NOT including Onkyo. The Marantz is a good deal(while they last).

The 1712 doesn't have HDMI upconversion(which you need for FIOS)

The Yamaha 471 doesn't have HDMI upconversion.

Pioneer VSX 921 has upconversion but won't hold the NR609's jock strap.

The NR609 has networking, which none of the others do.

The NR609 has a front USB, which works for "more stuff" than the one on the 921 or 471 do(and the Denon doesn't have)

So, without the NR609...too bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi, thanks for the replies. i appreciate a lot.

how about 608? what is the major difference between 608 and 609? i look at the onkyo website. seems that 609 has marvel qdeo, and add some front ipod stuff, and 609 has ethernet port. honestly, i don't care about apple stuff. and ethernet port is not that important. xbox, blue ray player are all network capable. did i miss something else? how important is that marvel qdeo?

thanks

jw

·
Registered
896 Posts
+1 for the 609 as well... great deal at the moment.

How important is that marvel qdeo? Cant comment on that but I do have the Onkyo 808 in which is an excellent unit with NO problems at all. The "upscalling" isnt a big issue eighter as most TV/DVD-Bluray palyers do that that already so its more likley you can just have it bypassed through the receiver.. thats what I have done anyhow.

If you are not affraid of Onkyo Factory Reconditioned ( I boutght my 808 that way too... saved quite a bit! Still retians the warranty & has been tested at the factory) I would look into this unit....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

It would have a few more advantages over the 609 IMO as it has the Audyssey MultEQ

Just a thought thou.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally /forum/post/20841607

+1 for the 609 as well... great deal at the moment.

If you are not affraid of Onkyo Factory Reconditioned ( I boutght my 808 that way too... saved quite a bit! Still retians the warranty & has been tested at the factory) I would look into this unit....

www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR708/Onkyo-TX-NR708-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

It would have a few more advantages over the 609 IMO as it has the Audyssey MultEQ

Just a thought thou.

And a +1 for the 708. Thats a great price. If networking isn't needed then the 707 is still around for $50 less.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You can get the Denon 2112 for around the same price as the 1712 and it had everything you need. It also has MultEQ XT so since sound quality it important to you I would look at it. The 609 has 2EQ and wont eq a subwoofer. You can call Electronics Expo and get one under 500 shipped. I think they might be back ordered right now but I think it would be worth the wait.

·
Banned
38 Posts
The problem with the 671(which isn't bad) is that the 667/867/A700/A800 are still around for less money.

The 671 has the same GUI(granted features of the 5 receivers are a bit different) as the A700/800.

So, no, there is nothing wrong with the 671, but look into the other 4 before you plunk down the CC for the 671.

But between those 5 Yamaha, versus those two Onkyo, the main difference is YPAO vs Audsyssey...

Price not important(cause, what, they are all within $150-ish dollars)...

NR708

A800

in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
accessories4less has onkyo 609 for 350 w/ free shipping(factory reconditioned)

amazon has rx-a700 for 370 w/ shipping included

new egg has rx-671 for 370 w/ free shipping.

pricewise, they are pretty much the same. so, which one would you pick?

thanks

jw

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just ordered a Yamaha RX-V867 from newegg for 399. The sale is only for two more days. I haven't received it yet but it does have all the features you want. I like that it has dual hdmi outputs, six hdmi inputs, pre outs, two subwoofer outputs, and analog multi channel inputs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.