AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about reviving my old home audio system, and I need some feedback about my initial ideas for a receiver. What I have to work with includes a Paradigm PS-1000 subwoofer and monitor series speakers--Monitor 9 (x2), ADP-370 (x2) and a CC-370. I plan to hook up a gaming system or two and my computer (which handles all my DVDs & BDs) using S/PDIF. (My computer's video will go straight to the monitor via DisplayPort.)

I was thinking about buying the Marantz NR1403. Would this handle my speakers? Or is there something more appropriate for my simple setup? I'll pay for some decent quality, but I'm not looking for a ton of features. I just want to put my speakers to good use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, but what are the dimensions of the room?
I rent rooms out of people's houses at the moment, and I've got things set up in my bedroom, which is kind of small. My current room is 118" x 118". I'm not looking to blast music; just enjoy a movie with quality surround sound from time to time. Maybe someday I'll want more, but not for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The specs on the speakers: suitable amplifier power range of 15-200 watts (8 ohms). I know the receiver is on the lower end of that range (50 watts, 8 ohms), but would it be sufficient for basic listening if I'm *not* trying to play audio for the entire house (and just my room)? I really like this Slim Line series because I don't need much, and I'd like something on the small side, if possible. The other Slim Line models all seem to offer the same range (50 watts, 8 ohms), so going up to a more expensive model doesn't seem to get me anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind. I've decided to buy some used Paradigm speakers with a maximum input power of 50 watts and 8 ohms impedance (Paradigm Atom v1 & Paradigm CC-50), and sell my old speakers. I found a decent deal for the Marantz NR1403, so I'm going to go with that. Because the subwoofer is powered, I'm assuming that it's still okay with this receiver, right? Sorry... I'm a noob when it comes to audio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have questions about the subwoofer (Paradigm PS-1000) and how it can be used with this receiver. I assume I connect the "SW" jack in the "Pre-Out" section of the Marantz to the "Right (Mono)" Low Level input on the sub, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts