AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the nube question but we are in the process of moving our basic HT setup and will have to do some in wall cabling from the LCD TV to wall plates to the receiver and I'd like to get away with running as few cable as possible to the TV. Can anyone recommend a budget/mid range receiver that I can - in addition to my HDMI devices - connect the Wii, VCR, and other non-HDMI devices that use component or composite but then have them pushed through HDMI running to the TV? I'm not even sure what the term for that is (decoding / upscaling?). I'd rather not run composite and component cables through the wall if I can help it.

I plan to run 2 HDMI cables from the TV through the wall at minimum. Beging that I'd like to not have to go through this more than once, are there any other cables I should run at the same time to future-proof in case we ever upgrade to a smart TV. Our current TV is a 52" Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U and other than being a bit thick and heavy, it's good until the kids leave home!

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Many receivers will transcode analog video inputs for HDMI output. You can find that information in owner manuals. If your TV and AVR both support ARC, you can feed audio from Smart TV apps to the receiver using the same HDMI cable that sends video to the display. But, I'd recommend running an optical cable anyway since the HDMI control features used with ARC can be a bit flaky.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our current TV doesn't support ARC but thanks for the heads up on the optical cable. I'll be sure and install it for down the road.

You're right, it seems that many AV receivers now transcode/convert analog through HDMI instead of simple passthrough. On that note, anyone have recommendations? I'm a little leary of low-mid range Onkyo's given the complaints about HDMI panel burning out...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
One thing to check the specs/manauals for is whether the receiver can convert analogue resolutions higher than 480i to HDMI. Your Wii is capable of outputing 480p over component, some receivers might force you to use 480i instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.