AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Weird question but is there any receiver that's able to use just the rear speakers and the sub to do 2.1 audio? I have much more space available at the back behind my couch so can potentially have bigger speakers there...

Thanks

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
None do. but if that's all you want to connect for 2.1 then just wire them to the front speaker terminals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I want to use the receiver to watch movies in 5.1.2 but when listening to music I would prefer to use the rear speakers...

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
yeah, that's not going to work. Some receivers have Front Speaker A and B terminals but you'd have to move the speaker cables around each time you want to do 2.1 with those rear placed speakers.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well I want to use the receiver to watch movies in 5.1.2 but when listening to music I would prefer to use the rear speakers...
Something already built-in? No such thing.

Something you can buy at the store, plug&play? maybe, search and you shall find. Some sort of speaker switch box is what you are looking for.

This is elementally ez for the DIY'er to build a manual switch box.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My Onkyo has that feature. I love it since now I can compare Speakers very easily.
I used to have RTIA5 and 260F and I spent a lot of time rewiring to compare and decide which ones to keep.

I dont know why, I couldnt manage to keep the SW on when switching Mains to any other pair than the real fronts though...

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
My Onkyo has that feature. I love it since now I can compare Speakers very easily.
I used to have RTIA5 and 260F and I spent a lot of time rewiring to compare and decide which ones to keep.

I dont know why, I couldnt manage to keep the SW on when switching Mains to any other pair than the real fronts though...

(snip)
Nice. What Onkyo model is it?

I believe that a Denon AVR-X8500H may have a fully blown speaker/amplifier assignment feature. It's a mere $4k (list) AVR, though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice. What Onkyo model is it?

I believe that a Denon AVR-X8500H may have a fully blown speaker/amplifier assignment feature. It's a mere $4k (list) AVR, though.
I have the RZ840. None of my priors had anything like this (Denon4300H, Yamaha, Sony..)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something already built-in? No such thing.

Something you can buy at the store, plug&play? maybe, search and you shall find. Some sort of speaker switch box is what you are looking for.

This is elementally ez for the DIY'er to build a manual switch box.
Good point about the manual switch box..

Cool thanks! Pity for the Subwoofer though, hope that can come in a further update
How do you like the TX-RZ840? It's exactly in my budget since I was looking at the Denon AVR-X3600H or the Yamaha RX-A2080.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Cool thanks! Pity for the Subwoofer though, hope that can come in a further update

How do you like the TX-RZ840? It's exactly in my budget since I was looking at the Denon AVR-X3600H or the Yamaha RX-A2080.
I sent you a PM...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
None do. but if that's all you want to connect for 2.1 then just wire them to the front speaker terminals.
Wrong.

My Pioneer Elite 504 can assign any pair of speakers for a stereo source.

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
2,394 Posts

Are you using a specific audio source for your 2.1 listening? Like a turntable of something? IF so you could get a small 2.1 channel amp for the 2.1 listening and wire the speakers to both amps. I mean techncially you COULD wire up a switch where in you flip a switch or hit a button and it rearranges the speaker connections internally.

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Wrong.

That's good to know. I haven't owned Pioneer or Onkyo AVR's in quite some time, just Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Anthem. Hopefully the OP can get one of those Pioneer or Onkyo models then.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That's good to know. I haven't owned Pioneer or Onkyo AVR's in quite some time, just Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Anthem. Hopefully the OP can get one of those Pioneer or Onkyo models then.

Thanks for your reply.
I have a modern lower end Denon and I can do amp assign on mine. I don't know about the left and right channels though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wrong.

Yours just the same as mine with different brand attached tobthe front
Have u managed anyway to keep the SW active while assigning stereo to any other pair of speakers??

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Onkyo bought Pioneers AVR division a few years back so they probably share some of the same software. Those music optimizer menus look alike.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yours just the same as mine with different brand attached tobthe front
Have u managed anyway to keep the SW active while assigning stereo to any other pair of speakers??
My subs are active at all times. Presumably because I have all 11 regular speakers set to "small" in the setup menu. This holds true in "stereo", "direct", and "pure direct" as well. Granted, I'm feeding everything through HDMI, so I have not tested by using the analog inputs, so there could be a difference by using analog inputs vs digital, but I've not tested to be sure.

Onkyo bought Pioneers AVR division a few years back so they probably share some of the same software. Those music optimizer menus look alike.
Agreed, the OSD shown looks just like what my Elite shows, with the obvious change that the Onkyo shows "AccuEQ" and my Elite shows "MCACC EQ" instead.

**edit**

I was mistaken, I DO NOT have working subwoofer output when any speaker pair other than the fronts are selected as output.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My subs are active at all times. Presumably because I have all 11 regular speakers set to "small" in the setup menu. This holds true in "stereo", "direct", and "pure direct" as well. Granted, I'm feeding everything through HDMI, so I have not tested by using the analog inputs, so there could be a difference by using analog inputs vs digital, but I've not tested to be sure.

Agreed, the OSD shown looks just like what my Elite shows, with the obvious change that the Onkyo shows "AccuEQ" and my Elite shows "MCACC EQ" instead.
Can you confirm:
Sound field: Stereo
Stereo Assign: Height 1
Your display continues to show the SW??
(See pic below, mine doesn't, note the SW missing)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Can you confirm:
Sound field: Stereo
Stereo Assign: Height 1
Your display continues to show the SW??
Holy cow, you're right! I was mistaken, I do not get subwoofer output except with the front speakers selected for stereo.

I can't see the front display of my receiver due to how it's hidden behind my projector's screen, but I put on some bass heavy music (Saint Saens Organ Symphony #3 ), and when I cycled through any of the 5 pairs of speakers, I had subs active only with the front speakers. The OSD matched what my ears said when I looked at the info... That is, input is 2.0 stereo... output is 2.1 with front speakers, 2.0 for surrounds, 2.0 for surround backs, and 0.0.2 for either set of height speakers.

Guess I didn't notice before because I don't actually use the stereo output on anything other than the fronts in actual use, and the music I tested with prior didn't push the subwoofers very much. Guess the Onkyos and Pioneers won't do what OP wanted... Bummer.

Reactions: asabrag
1 - 20 of 21 Posts