AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you guys can help me.

While AV receivers are nice the quality of most of them leave a lot to be desired.

I currently own 4 harmon kardon AVR receivers. All four have failed at one time or another. Harmon Kardon is good about sending you a refurbished replacement. However the replacements usually suffer from the same problems. I have had issues with HDMI switching, audio input, video failure, and popping from various channels. Not to mention the hassle of installing them. I have had an onkyo that had a failure in 30 days that I just returned to amazon.

I currently have an AVR 2600 that has the same popping issue that the previous unit had.

I am looking for a new receiver, any brand, but one that will not break. Looking on amazon if you look at the reviews most receivers have about 10% one star reviews. These one star reviews are due to failures of the unit. Every time I find one that I may like is see those reviews and am sure I will receive a unit that will fail.

Any recommendations for a good 7.2 channel receiver that will not fail me, have great sound. I have polk lsi in wall speakers and subwoofer. I really do not need the wifi, apple play, blue tooth etc. I just need great sound quality, HDMI pass through, and one that will last a long time. Im looking for something in $800 or less range.

thanks.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I've had good luck with many brands. Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer to name a few. I've never used the higher end brands like Integra or Marantz. I currently have a Denon x2200W and have had no problems.

Be aware that with anything there are hundreds if not thousands of owners with no issue for every one bad review you see online.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It seems to be human nature to complain more often than praise, that's why I take reviews with a grain of salt. With that said there's no guarantee you will get any brand of receiver that won't fail, there are defects in every brand. The best you can do is pick a company that stands behind their product and has a decent warranty. Yamaha seems to have the best track record in terms of reliability as has been discussed a number of times on AVS, possibly due to the fact that they still manufacture in their own factories while others outsource.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found the denon AVRX4200W on sale at frys. They are selling it for 899 with insider coupon code and local pickup only. Most other places have it for 1299. Appears to be in stock at the Houston store. Luckily I live in houston. Seems like a pretty good deal. Hopefully it will actually be in stock for pickup. Frys loves to list deals and show them in stock but when you go to pick it up they say they don't have it.

Any thoughts on this model.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's a good brand and has a 3 year warranty. Fry's has been having it on a sale a number of times for this price which is a good deal. I do see a number of people have issues with Denon's on this site but you could chalk that up to the fact that it's a popular brand and when someone has a problem they search for a solution which brings them to AVS.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
There are no guarantees in life or electronics but to me there are benefits from playing the odds and in my opinion the better odds are with either a Yamaha Aventage series receiver built on its own dedicated line by their senior installers and highly recommended by many pro installers or the Denon X series starting with the X3200 which is the first one in this series built in a larger housing than the preceding models and is also well regarded by pro installers. Denon also offers their own extended warranty options for eligible Denon receivers that only starts the coverage after any factory warranty has expired. This makes the X series in eligible models an excellent value because you already get a 3 year factory warranty with these models and you could then extend that to a maximum of 6 years with their 3 year extended warranty. Good luck to you in whatever receiver you entirely decide to purchase.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/warranty

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Just found the denon AVRX4200W on sale at frys. They are selling it for 899 with insider coupon code and local pickup only. Most other places have it for 1299. Appears to be in stock at the Houston store. Luckily I live in houston. Seems like a pretty good deal. Hopefully it will actually be in stock for pickup. Frys loves to list deals and show them in stock but when you go to pick it up they say they don't have it.

Good model for the money, you get the 4k/Atmos capabilities, Audyssey XT32 as well as pre-outs and a good basic amp setup. Good price, too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can echo MadMax's comment "There are no guarantees in life or electronics" and also would recommend Yamaha. As far as repairs go, Yamaha has about the lowest failure rate in the industry.

·
Registered
28,567 Posts
If you're having that many problems with receivers maybe its where you have them placed? I've never had a receiver fail on me and I bought my first one in 1981. One of my high school friends still has that one.

Are they on a top shelf with proper ventilation? Or do you store them in a cabinet, closet, rack with not enough flowing air?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I currently own 4 harmon kardon AVR receivers. All four have failed at one time or another.
I believe that you have identified your problems. There is a joke out there that goes somehting like this... "Doctor, it hurts my head when I do this [hits himself in the head with a pole]. What can I do? The Doctor replies... Stop doing THAT!

I also had issues with 2 different Harmon Kardon receivers. I picked up a JVC 5.1 system and then a Yamaha 7.1 system. Both have continued to operate flawlessly for the past 14 years. I believe that Best Buy has an Onkyo TX NR757 for $699 that should be able to fit that bill nicely under your target price point.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-1...er-black/5133400.p?id=bb5133400&skuId=5133400

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Let us know if it is a NEW or refirb'd unit. We see the $899 for this as refirb all the time but never new. It has the features I want/need but is outside the original OPs parameters as it 'ticks' boxes he did not ask for at a price higher than he specificied.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

I bought one at Fry's under a similar pricing promo a couple of months ago. I actually paid $829. I like the receiver a lot. They do have a bug in Dolby Surround which I assume all the 2015 units have. Some live tv channels cause the volume to jump and stay loud.. really annoying. I swapped thr AVR out for a second unit but it does the same thing. I just don't use Dolby Surround now. I previously used an x4000. I still own the x4000, a2112ci, and a 591. They all still run fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. I do have the unit in a built in entertainment center. I have installed a cabinet fan above the unit that draw out any excess heat. I have a surge protector attached to all my devices, as well my house is equipped with a whole house surge protector.

Lokks like the fry receiver is an open box item only. I may hold off till I find something else. With all the recent issue with the onkyo brand I am reluctant to purchase that brand. I will keep looking.

thanks.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
man, not to rub salt in an open wound, but i've never had a receiver die on me. i even had a friend give me one because 'it didn't work' and worked perfect when i got around to plugging it in. it's getting to the point that i have them starting to stack up because they become obsolete so much faster than they die

as others have said, before spending more money, i'd really want to investigate why things are happening. it's like popping a fuse. once may be a fluke, but after 4 times there's a 'reason' for it, and it's not going to go away unless you address that.

from your last post it sounds like you've gone through all reasonable steps, but damn, 4 receivers is not bad luck. you got gremlins somewhere, and they don't like you!

Reactions: Madmax67
1 - 15 of 15 Posts