AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello List.

I need a receiver recommendation. I intend to power 2 speaker and a sub woofer. My input will be from 2 primary sources:

Ipod

Computer

For the iPod, I want to use the following item (forum won't let me post URL's):

smarthome

/83470/iPod-Docking-Station-with-IR-Control-A0314/p.aspx

Basically it passes the Ipod signal over cat 5 to module that converts it to RCA which then hooks into the receiver.

For the computer, I have the audio out port and want to plug this into a in wall jack that, I assume would use cat 5 (haven't found one yet) and convert it also into a RCA for input into the receiver.

So, can someone recommend a budget friendly, $300 or less, receiver that can do what I am looking for? I'm somewhat confused about the posts I've read about digital vs. analog inputs.

Also, can someone recommend a product solution for the second part of what I wanted to do... plug a computer into a wall jack to pass the audio to a receiver in another room?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Basically it passes the Ipod signal over cat 5 to module that converts it to RCA which then hooks into the receiver.

This makes no sense. You can't "convert an iPod signal to RCA." That's like converting your electrical service to a PVC pipe.

Connecting computers and iPods to a receiver is a trivial exercise, and any receiver can handle it. It sounds like you're trying to make a simple task into an impossible one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/17055359

This makes no sense. You can't "convert an iPod signal to RCA." That's like converting your electrical service to a PVC pipe.

Connecting computers and iPods to a receiver is a trivial exercise, and any receiver can handle it. It sounds like you're trying to make a simple task into an impossible one.

Actually, I'm not trying to make a simple task into an impossible one. My question had more to do with a good recommendation on a 2.1 receiver... I haven't found many and wanted the opinions of those who have knowledge of a good 2.1.

Regarding the Ipod, I wasn't clear... the ipod plugs into a dock that transmits the audio of the ipod over CAT 5. At the end of the CAT 5 run, the CAT 5 cable gets terminated into two RCA jacks. These RCA jacks plug into the receiver. Again, the diagram is on the smarthome website.

I am looking for a receiver recommendation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jettore,

Thanks, the Onkyo I found and was looking at, but the link you provided is considerably less expensive than the one I had.

Regarding the Airport Express, do you use it? How well does it work with regards to interruption of the streaming due to network interference?

I was considering hardwired because I intend to have a few docks throughout the house (going to their own receiver). Not sure if that would work with multiple wireless streams.

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't use the Airport, but it seems to work well from reviews.

It sounds like you are trying to do a house audio distribution. If you are thinking of buying a few of those IPOD docks and receivers, you'll start approaching the cost of a real system.
http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio...Setup-Packages

Mid priced system is even better priced, but doesn't have input on each wallplate. You would have to add where needed or come up with an alternative. You could connect your computer to the the system and then just use an ipod touch or iphone with the Apple remote app to control ITunes over a wireless network.
http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio...ystem-packages

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Actually, I'm not trying to make a simple task into an impossible one. My question had more to do with a good recommendation on a 2.1 receiver... I haven't found many and wanted the opinions of those who have knowledge of a good 2.1.

Any stereo receiver can do this. Onkyos are the best bang for the buck.

Quote:
Regarding the Ipod, I wasn't clear... the ipod plugs into a dock that transmits the audio of the ipod over CAT 5. At the end of the CAT 5 run, the CAT 5 cable gets terminated into two RCA jacks. These RCA jacks plug into the receiver. Again, the diagram is on the smarthome website.

Post a couple more times, then give us a link that works. Also, why are you bothering to do this? Why don't you want to connect the iPod to the receiver directly? (I'm trying to get you to be clearer about your aims here, so we can give you better advice.)

Quote:
Regarding the Airport Express, do you use it? How well does it work with regards to interruption of the streaming due to network interference?

Hasn't happened to me in months, but it used to happen occasionally. You can fiddle with changing channels, which will help. Also, the AE can be used with an Ethernet connection.

Quote:
I was considering hardwired because I intend to have a few docks throughout the house (going to their own receiver). Not sure if that would work with multiple wireless streams.

Again, for the iPods, why not a direct connection to each receiver? For computer streaming, you can have multiple AEs, and set iTunes to feed whichever one(s) you want. (It can only handle one stream at a time, but it can stream to more than one AE at once.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mcnarus,

Here is the link:

http://www.smarthome.com/83470/iPod-...l-A0314/p.aspx

My hope was to have an ipod dock in a few different rooms, (my two kids room, our bedroom and the main living room) which would allow music listening in each room independent of the others. I know I would need to have either a multi zone receiver, like the Niles or individual receivers for each zone all of which are located in a central media cabinet tucked away in a completely different room. This is why I wanted to go with the iPod in each location so it can be individually controlled.

Regarding Express, I use Airport Extreme now for wireless, which I believe is 802.11g. About 80% of the time, my connection drops when my 2.4ghz phone is used... very annoying. Have you had this experience with Express?

Also, is there anyway you know of multiple Expresses can be used in a house in place of the iPod docks so music from laptop A in room A can hit the receiver in the Media Room playing the music to the speakers in room A all while computer B in room B is streaming its own music to receiver B in the Media Room so different music can be listened to in room B?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
My hope was to have an ipod dock in a few different rooms, (my two kids room, our bedroom and the main living room) which would allow music listening in each room independent of the others. I know I would need to have either a multi zone receiver, like the Niles or individual receivers for each zone all of which are located in a central media cabinet tucked away in a completely different room. This is why I wanted to go with the iPod in each location so it can be individually controlled.

OK, so you want multiroom capability. You didn't mention that in your initial post, so it didn't occur to me that that's what you might be doing.

Quote:
Regarding Express, I use Airport Extreme now for wireless, which I believe is 802.11g. About 80% of the time, my connection drops when my 2.4ghz phone is used... very annoying. Have you had this experience with Express?

Only occasionally. (And I usually want to mute the stereo when the phone rings, so it's a feature, not a bug!) But there's a way to change the channel the AE uses, so your phone is less likely to interfere. You have to play around with it to find the channel that works best for you.

Quote:
Also, is there anyway you know of multiple Expresses can be used in a house in place of the iPod docks so music from laptop A in room A can hit the receiver in the Media Room playing the music to the speakers in room A all while computer B in room B is streaming its own music to receiver B in the Media Room so different music can be listened to in room B?

I think this should work. It's not any different than multiple computers using the same Wifi network to surf the Web at the same time. But I've never attempted it, so you might want to ask at the Apple Store or something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have achieved what you wish to achieve in a different manor. Hooking a network hard drive up to your router is a simple solution, especially if everyone has either a laptop or there is already a computer in every room.

With a network hard drive, all of your music can be accessed on your home network anywhere near your house (even outside). Simply then hook up the laptop via RCA cable to a receiver and you can stream music. Everyone in each room can be streaming different songs simultaneously. It is password protected, of course.

It is woefully simple, just hook up an ethernet cable, locate the hard drive on your network, and copy all of your music files onto the network hard drive. Everyone with access to your drive on your network can add their own music in their own folders or one big shared music folder.

Literally takes less than 20 minutes to set up the hard drive (including software installation).

Try this one from Lacie. I can jukebox 96/24 files on my home network. Come up instantly. Combined with winamp, foobar, or media monkey this works like a charm.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10994

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_blazer /forum/post/17057617

OP, you might want to check out a sonos or squeezebox duet system. I own a 3 zone sonos system, it's fantastically easy to setup and use.

You can use zp120 which has an internal amp and your ipod touch can be setup as a controller...

http://www.sonos.com

Thanks... I'll check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts