AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a LCD TV (720p/1081i), an oppo 981 HD DVD player. I am going with the HSU research performance 2 for speakers, and I need a receiver.

Since I only have 1 Hdmi device (oppo player) I don't need hdmi switching or upconverting; I need a receiver that can do dual zone, 5.1 or 7.1, and good sound processing.

I was looking at the onkyo 674, but that's too much money for me for features I will not be using for a while.

What is best out there with just HDMI passthrough?

Onkyo 604, pioneer 1016, yamaha 1600 (maybe too much $)...? what would be the best for the $?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am I right to assume that the only difference between the two (besides the small wattage difference) is that the 604 upscales component to HDMI and the 674 can put the standard analog inputs through the HDMI as well?

Not sure I'm going to have enough need for that alone to spend the extra 100 dollars.

Someone please post if they know the differences between them. I've been out of the AV scene for a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I am interested in a receiver mostly for the audio, would it make sense to plug my dvd player directly into my TV (2 hdmi inputs) and run an audio cable to the receiver... then I could still get good bang for the buck on a receiver with good features and moderate price (300-400 shipped).

Then what is the main difference for me between an amp and receiver, since all my video inputs would be going into the TV?

·
Registered
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PShow /forum/post/0

I wouldn't rule out the 674. Currently, you can get one at Circuit City for $449. Pioneer 1016 is also a good choice. Good luck!

problem is, their out of stock online and you can't get one in the store. i tried, but i came home with a 604 and it's awsome too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the Onkyo 604 and it's a great reciever. I listened to that and the 1016 from pioneer and the onkyo is better to my ears. Also the Onkyo is the only sub $400 receiver that process audio from the HDMI all the others just pass it thru to the TV--so you'll won't be able to hear anything thru your speakers.

The big thing about the 674 is that it upconverts video. The 604 only converts s-vid and composite. This is only an issue if you have a lot of inputs and for legacy media. I'm of the camp that a receiver should first and formost process sound and leave the video processing to video devices...

Persoanlly I went from wanting the Yamaha 6090 to the onkyo 674 to getting the 604 mosly because HDMI is a moving target and I couldn't justfy spendin 600-plus dollars on a receiver just for upconversion...it's not an issure in my case.

--Mike

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRMikeD /forum/post/0

I got the Onkyo 604 and it's a great reciever. I listened to that and the 1016 from pioneer and the onkyo is better to my ears. Also the Onkyo is the only sub $400 receiver that process audio from the HDMI all the others just pass it thru to the TV--so you'll won't be able to hear anything thru your speakers.

--Mike

The Marantz SR4001 will pass audio through HDMI also at the same price as the 604.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuzen /forum/post/0

Am I right to assume that the only difference between the two (besides the small wattage difference) is that the 604 upscales component to HDMI and the 674 can put the standard analog inputs through the HDMI as well?

Not sure I'm going to have enough need for that alone to spend the extra 100 dollars.

Someone please post if they know the differences between them. I've been out of the AV scene for a while.

The 604 doesn't scale anything. All it does is convert between s-vid and composite. What that really means is that you can plug in multiple devices, comp. or s-vid and output them via ONE output--composit or s-vid only. Component in is component 0ut and hdmi in goes to hdmi out. The manual has a diagram on pg 23.

The 674 does the conversion of analogs to hdmi but it does not scale--change resolution. To be honest i think that is the only difference besides 5 watts. I went with the 604 because upconversion wasn't an issire for me.

Pg 5 of the manuel list the differences. There are only 3...wattage, upscalling and VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) on all chanels for the 674 while it only applies for the L/R on the 604

--Mike

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I just purchased the 604B for under $300. before taxes. Open item at the local CC. Great find!

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRMikeD /forum/post/0

The 604 doesn't scale anything. All it does is convert between s-vid and composite. What that really means is that you can plug in multiple devices, comp. or s-vid and output them via ONE output--composit or s-vid only. Component in is component 0ut and hdmi in goes to hdmi out. The manual has a diagram on pg 23.

The 674 does the conversion of analogs to hdmi but it does not scale--change resolution. To be honest i think that is the only difference besides 5 watts. I went with the 604 because upconversion wasn't an issire for me.

Pg 5 of the manuel list the differences. There are only 3...wattage, upscalling and VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) on all chanels for the 674 while it only applies for the L/R on the 604

--Mike

Opps. The 604 DOES convert to Component from composite and s-vid...sorry I was thinking about somthing else. Pg 32 shows it very clearly.

--Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased an Onkyo 604 and have it connected to an Oppo DVD and an InFocus projector through HDMI (DVD to IN1; Out to Projector). Sometimes it works flawlessly. Other times, the Projector takes a lot of time to acquire the HDMI signal from the receiver. Last night, despite an hour of futzing, it wouldn't find the signal at all.

On the setup menu I made sure I had designated the DVD HDMI to IN1. I checked all the connections. I turned the components on and off and tried different DVDs. Nothing. I got sound from the DVD through the receiver and to the speakers only when I turned off the projector.

I am fairly certain something is going wrong at the receiver because when I connected the HDMI cable directly from the DVD to the projector, I immediately got the DVD picture.

Am I making a mistake in the setup or do you other 604 owners think my receiver is defective?

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaruso /forum/post/0

I recently purchased an Onkyo 604 and have it connected to an Oppo DVD and an InFocus projector through HDMI (DVD to IN1; Out to Projector). Sometimes it works flawlessly. Other times, the Projector takes a lot of time to acquire the HDMI signal from the receiver. Last night, despite an hour of futzing, it wouldn't find the signal at all.

On the setup menu I made sure I had designated the DVD HDMI to IN1. I checked all the connections. I turned the components on and off and tried different DVDs. Nothing. I got sound from the DVD through the receiver and to the speakers only when I turned off the projector.

I am fairly certain something is going wrong at the receiver because when I connected the HDMI cable directly from the DVD to the projector, I immediately got the DVD picture.

Am I making a mistake in the setup or do you other 604 owners think my receiver is defective?

Here is the Owners thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=735314

Hope that helps. Also from my computer experience a faulty connection...just being loose...plays havoc with the signal so you might want to check that.

Hope it works out for you and for me since i intend to use the HDMI once i get my display in a few months.

--Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.