AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put together a decent sounding speaker system with Infinity P363, matching Infinity center, surrounds and Emotiva 12 inch sub (nice and tight).

I mainly listen to classical music with some pop mixed in and watch movies.

The source quality ranges quite a bit from high quality DVDs and mp3 to netflix and pandora type streaming. I do realize that the upgrade may in some cases make lower quality sources sound less acceptable.

Currently I have a Pioneer VSX-521 which is decent for the job.

However, I am wondering if a receiver replacement/upgrade would bring sound improvements noticable enough to matter.

If yes, please share your thoughts and experience to help me find a suitable upgrade.

Many thanks for you time and wisdom!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have an old receiver as well that I am looking to upgrade. The main feature I am looking at is room correction. I believe that will have a far great impact than any perceived "sound quality" differences among brands (assuming they have adequate power for you speakers and room).

From what I've read, Audyssey XT32 is highly regarded, with the "Pro" calibration upgrade even more so. Anthem's ARC is also reviewed very favorably. It seems (and this is all from 2nd hand reports) that the XT32 with Pro calibration is favored over ARC, but the price of the lowest priced Anthem receiver vs. the lowest priced XT32 Pro-capable receiver is around $1000 for the Anthem vs. $2000+ for a Denon or Integra receiver.

Hope that helps some...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your mains are floor standers, right? I would definitely upgrade to a more powerful receiver. Make sure the new receiver has preamp outputs so you can add more power later, even if only for the left and right speakers. If I'm correct about your mains, they can handle a lot of power. Give it to them. It will help music listening immensely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antibayi /forum/post/20898159

Your mains are floor standers, right? I would definitely upgrade to a more powerful receiver. Make sure the new receiver has preamp outputs so you can add more power later, even if only for the left and right speakers. If I'm correct about your mains, they can handle a lot of power. Give it to them. It will help music listening immensely.

That's what I thought. The floor speakers can handle up to 200w per manual. Any particular recommendations for the best value? As far as I understand, not all power is created equal in the amp/receiver world.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20898351

What is your budget for AVR?

Would like to stay under $1,000 but can be convinced to double that if it really makes a difference. The main sanity restriction is the quality of speakers. Infinity P363 are great but they are no $10,000 speakers.

At this point I would like to hit a value point well ahead of diminishing returns, just to max out the quality (not loudness) capabilities of the speakers.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrik /forum/post/20898366

Would like to stay under $1,000 but can be convinced to double that if it really makes a difference. The main sanity restriction is the quality of speakers. Infinity P363 are great but they are no $10,000 speakers.

At this point I would like to hit a value point well ahead of diminishing returns, just to max out the quality (not loudness) capabilities of the speakers.

The Yamaha Aventage can be had for that price. Check out Newegg on Saturday. Usually have some very good deals on those. Just be sure you research really well before buying from the Egg. Their return policy stinks. Denon 3311/12 are also a couple to consider. If there is a Costco around you they did have the Pioneer SC35 for a very good price. Of course their return policy is the best there is. It was under $700.00 IIRC. You may want to look at it on their website to see if it is still available. My vote is for the Yamaha A2000 then the SC 35. Either of these would be very good choices. The Denon's are excellent for the money and have Audyssey for room EQ'ing. They will EQ your sub. The Pioneer won't. The Yamaha A2000 will Eq your sub/s, but models below the A2000 from Yamaha will not. Good luck and enjoy.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...uctsInCategory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20898486

. My vote is for the Yamaha A2000 then the SC 35. Either of these would be very good choices. The Denon's are excellent

So, if I understood you correctly, you would vote for A2000 130W over SC35 140W because of the Sub EQ? And in the future if I want to drive the front speakers with more power I should get a two channel 200x2 amp and drive that from the pre-amp outputs?

I was looking for a higher powered 5.2 option since I only use that, but it seems that all the best stuff does 7.2 now.

Or would it better for me to break up the receiver into several components (separate amp, etc)?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You also should look at onkyo 3008. YOu can pick it for 1150 from newegg on fridays and it is absolutely a killer in terms of features/price.

Audyssey xt32, High resolution DAC, HQV Reon, 9.2 receiver..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anismo /forum/post/20898886

You also should look at onkyo 3008. YOu can pick it for 1150 from newegg on fridays and it is absolutely a killer in terms of features/price.

Audyssey xt32, High resolution DAC, HQV Reon, 9.2 receiver..

This one looks very good. Should I look for Audyssey xt32 in general for room tuneup?

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Well the A 2000 with the added amp will allow up to 9.2 channels. Sub Eq is important and it does have this over the Pioneer. Of course there are other options as you mentioned in the form of a less expensive AVR as a pre-pro and an amp with however many channels you want. I just also recommended to another member the Yamaha 867 and a NAD T955 amp. This option is always good as long as the next AVR or pre-pro you get has the pre-outs to connect the amp. Amps seem to last longer than AVr's in some cases. Usually end up wanting to upgrade the processing capabilities of the AVR and the amp is there when you want to do that. The A2000 will do more than you think. There is a dedicated thread for it and its little brother the A1000 and the bigger A3000. I would opt for the A2000 or A3000. The A1000 does not EQ the sub as well as the other two. The A3000 does have a few things over the A2000 and either can be had for very good prices at this time. You may want to check out that thread to see if either of these interest you. As for the best stuff being for "only" 5.2 that doesn't matter either as any 7.1/2 AVR will work just as well for 5.2 use. Get the one that has the connectivity,power,and all the other things you may want for now and the near future. There are a lot of good choices out there and really good bargains at this time of year. New models are fixing to hit the shelves in the fall. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrik /forum/post/20898946

This one looks very good. Should I look for Audyssey xt32 in general for room tuneup?

XT32 is a very good Eq program. You can also get it in the Denon 4311. I would go that route before getting one of the X08/X008's from Onkyo. Just can't bring myself to recommend that model year. Too many problems from their products from this model year and back to X05's. There are many in use that are probably trouble free and work as they should but just not for me. Read the thread for problems from the 08 series. Then see if its something you want to try.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20899007

XT32 is a very good Eq program. You can also get it in the Denon 4311. I would go that route before getting one of the X08/X008's from Onkyo. Just can't bring myself to recommend that model year. Too many problems from their products from this model year and back to X05's. There are many in use that are probably trouble free and work as they should but just not for me. Read the thread for problems from the 08 series. Then see if its something you want to try.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

I cant answer for other models, but the 3008 has been quite good in terms of quality so far. I also have the Denon 4802 (from which I moved and is now doing bedroom duty) and I can safely say that the SQ and features of the onkyo are excellent.

The one issue I have heard with the onkyo is the heat. you need ventilation to prevent failure. The Denon 4311 is an excellent unit as well and if you can afford it, it is sweet unit.

Fyi: My Onkyo 3008 acts as a Prepro for Emo XPA-5 Driving Paradigm Studio 40s and Heat hasnt been an issue so far for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like Denon 4311 is the winner. I see a couple of places selling those under $1600 shipped. Thank you for all the wonderful advise, especially the pointer to look at the room EQ options.

Any alternatives at that price range before I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
219 Posts
You'll be very happy with the 4311. If I was in the market for a new receiver, that's what i would choose.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible
You sure about sub eq on the Yamaha 2000? Yamaha in direct response told me the 2000 and 3000 did not eq the sub.
Yes sir, according to owners from the dedicated threads for the Aventage line both the A2000 and 3000 do sub EQ'ing. Also each sub is Eq'd. Hope this is true as I'll be getting my A3000 next week.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I will also toss in another vote for the Yamaha RX-A2000. I own one myself and she is a beauty. Great sound, great power, great video chip, and an awesome looking piece of gear. The build quality is also very impressive. If I was in your position, I would be looking at the RX-A2000, RX-A3000, and maybe the Denon AVR-3312CI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.