AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I just purchased a new television (an LG 60PK950, which is quite an upgrade from a 15-year old 32-inch Samsung tube) and was thinking about upgrading my receiver. Currently I have two Wharfedale Emerald 97 MKIVs, a Klipsch Synergy C-1 center, a Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver and a Panasonic BD85 disc player. I was thinking of upgrading the receiver to a 1120 ($500) and adding a subwoofer, such as the PWS505 ($210), to have a 3.1 system. Would these be good matches for my system? Any recommendations are welcome.

(Additionally, I don't want to run speaker wire for a 5.1 system and had looked at the Polk Surroundbar 50 as a way of getting to a semblance of 5.1)

As everyone has guessed by now, I am not an audiophile. The system is used for movies, some music and television.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
a soundbar will not even get you to a "semblance" - many are just stereo with echo effects, others are some form of 3.1 again with delay echo. Better a true 3.1 system than a pseudo surround system.

The 1120 has a great feature set for the money and the PSW505 is the first decent subwoofer in the Polk lineup - units that precede it in price are an embarrassment to Polk

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/0

No, a subwoofer does not need to match any other speakers in your system since it is dedicated to a separate and unique portion of the spectrum.

It us also less critical to match surrounds, so moving the wharfdales to the sides will probably work perfectly fine. (until you can upgrade those as well, of course
)

First, if you like the Klipsch center, pick up two fronts from the same Klipsch speaker line. Second, move the Wharfdales to the proper 5.1 "side" positions. Third, pick up a new sub and a Pioneer 1120.

^^^^this was my response to you in the other thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts