AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fishing for ideas on what the best route to take with upgrading a 12 year old Yamaha receiver. I dont know the model number, it has 5 channels at 200 watts per channel.

I'm looking for something in the same quality range, but with modern age bells and whistles like Dolby Digital and DTS support, ProLogic etc. etc.

Cost wise, would I be better off completely replacing the receiver, or buying a pre-amp that supports these things and using the direct connections on the old yamaha? Either way that's best, does anyone have some specific model suggestions I can start my search with?

Much obliged,

Shkuey

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Yamaha htr 5790 has all the new toys and its a great performer,also is THX select and it can layer PL IIx on top of DTS and Dolby to give you 7.1 .

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
You definitely want to replace that receiver. You can't buy today's technology a-la-cart. Forget about THX, they set the MINIMUM standards, and most brands mentioned on this forum excede that.

Budget and what you are going to be using it for (HT/music %) would help. Off hand I'd say you can't go wrong with a Marantz or Denon; the latter if you want exceptional HT performance, the former if you will also be listening to music. Give us a budget and we'll recommend models.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I would breakdown it's use as 30% sports/HDTV, 50% movies, and 20% music.

What's odd to me is the rating in watts per channel, or maybe this isnt as important as I thought. This old thing does 200w per channel, but I cant even find a receiver for less than a few thousand that does more than about 130. Is this not as important as I think it is? I'm trying to keep the budget under a thousand (MSRP).

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
130 watts per channel DRIVEN is plenty of power for most people. That would give you 120 db or so. DOUBLING the wattage does not nearly double the decibals.

In that price range with an 80% HT mix, I would recommend the Denon AVR 3805.

Good luck with whatever you get and welcome to the fourm.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I cant remember any Yamaha receivers that did 200 wpc. I still have in my secondary room the flagship model from about that era(RX-V2090), and it was only 110wpc fronts/center, and 40wpc surrounds...

You must have some monster unit I never heard about..

Anyway, audition the newest Yamaha offerings in your price range, you may or may not care for them. I didnt and moved over to Denon. Also look at Pioneer Elite. Alot of people here seem to like Marantz and H/K, I never have and still dont care for either, and I think Onkyo offers alot of features for the price, but I dont trust their Q/C.

Part of your decision should probably involve the speakers you intend to hook it to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the advice.

I'll check the model of the receiver sometime soon and double check the information. My parents asked me to help upgrade their system, the thing is half as old as I am so I took his word on the specs. It does seem high now that I do some searching around. Maybe he meant it was 200 watts of total power? I guess that would only come out to 40 watts per channel.

I actually own a 3805 for my own system and like it very much, but I have to admit to not doing much research with other brands. I heard it, I liked it, it got a lot of good reviews, and I bought it. It is a smidge out of the budget for my parents setup though, I think I can meet their budget at street prices with a unit that has an MSRP at about 1000... I believe the Denon is 1200 or 1300. (Sorry for not being overly clear here, I know this forum has rules about posting prices that are not MSRP and I dont want to step on any toes.) I think I'll look into the model one step down, 2805, and see how well that stacks up. I'll also have to check out the new Yamaha's, as after having this one for so long they're partial to the brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.