AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you all.


Taking XT32 out of the equation, is there any advantage either way between these 2 options, knowing I can add an amp to the 7008 later if I choose?


Marantz SR7008 ($2000)


or


Marantz AV7701 with MM7055 ($2600)


Looking to pull the trigger this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64  /t/1520762/receiver-vs-separates-advantage#post_24433013


Question for you all.


Taking XT32 out of the equation, is there any advantage either way between these 2 options, knowing I can add an amp to the 7008 later if I choose?


Marantz SR7008 ($2000)


or


Marantz AV7701 with MM7055 ($2600)


Looking to pull the trigger this week.

Article below may give you an idea or answer your question about separates or a good AVR.

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/receivers-vs-separates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64  /t/1520762/receiver-vs-separates-advantage#post_24433013


Question for you all.


Taking XT32 out of the equation, is there any advantage either way between these 2 options, knowing I can add an amp to the 7008 later if I choose?


Marantz SR7008 ($2000)


or


Marantz AV7701 with MM7055 ($2600)


Looking to pull the trigger this week.

It seems to me the better receiver would be the better choice. The power amplifer isn't meaningfully more powerful and doesn't have a specification for a 4 ohm load so I would say the difference is mostly cosmetic and appealing to the typical audiophile desire for more complexity. The receiver should do just as well, take up less space and make the system less complicated. The reasons for having a separate amplifier would deal with SPL levels and speaker impedance at high SPL levels. Since you didn't mention those things, I assume your installation will be fairly typical. I would go for the better receiver if you want and will use the additional features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,079 Posts
Those are list prices. Be sure to call an authorized Marantz dealer and ask for a quote. It'll be much lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1520762/receiver-vs-separates-advantage#post_24433363


Those are list prices. Be sure to call an authorized Marantz dealer and ask for a quote. It'll be much lower.

Those are the prices I find online as well as from the Magnolia center at Best Buy. Is there someplace else I should look at?


I read the article Phantom52 and it appears desire and a need for balanced inputs/outputs is the reasoning for separates this day and age. Is it true that the Marantz products are not truly balanced through the entire signal chain?


Yes my system is fairly typical. Klipsch Cornwalls for the fronts that are powered by 2 Carver amps. The AVR would only be driving 5.2 channels. Nothing approaching 4 ohms.


Looks like the 7008 is the winner. And with what's left over, I can add a new Oppo 103 player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64  /t/1520762/receiver-vs-separates-advantage#post_24433013


Question for you all.


Taking XT32 out of the equation, is there any advantage either way between these 2 options, knowing I can add an amp to the 7008 later if I choose?


Marantz SR7008 ($2000)


or


Marantz AV7701 with MM7055 ($2600)


Looking to pull the trigger this week.

The one advantage I see to the AV7701 would be balanced pre-amp outputs. If you do decide to go with external amplifiers later that could be an advantage especially if the external amplifiers are located any distance away. In my theater the preamp is behind the seating area and all but one of six separate external amplifiers are down by the screen area. Single ended would be more prone to noise with runs that long.


The advantage to the SR7008 of course is mainly in neater packaging. You don't have to have external amplifiers for everything, you could get a 3-ch amp and use it for the left/right/center and use the receivers built in amplifiers for surround.


mk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,079 Posts
Authorized D+M dealers are only allowed to publicly advertise list prices. Best Buy can get away with charging full list because you won't find any published prices that are lower, so they don't have to match them. If you call any other authorized D+M dealer, however, they'll quote a much lower price.


AVScience, the primary supporter of this forum, is an authorized dealer for most brands of home entertainment equipment, including Marantz. JDSmoothie, one of the major contributors to the forum, recently became one of their agents. Here's one of his posts, with contact info in his sig:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread#post_20422644


Disclosure: I've never bought anything from JD. I usually make my purchases from a local small A/V store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64  /t/1520762/receiver-vs-separates-advantage#post_24433493


Those are the prices I find online as well as from the Magnolia center at Best Buy. Is there someplace else I should look at?


I read the article Phantom52 and it appears desire and a need for balanced inputs/outputs is the reasoning for separates this day and age. Is it true that the Marantz products are not truly balanced through the entire signal chain?


Yes my system is fairly typical. Klipsch Cornwalls for the fronts that are powered by 2 Carver amps. The AVR would only be driving 5.2 channels. Nothing approaching 4 ohms.


Looks like the 7008 is the winner. And with what's left over, I can add a new Oppo 103 player.

IIRC none of the Marantz pre-pros are "truly" balance throughout the chain. As for the prices give the guys at the AVS Store a call for prices for the products they sell. Better deals here than anywhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 7008 last night. First impressions are great. Now to run Audyessy and see how that improves the sound.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts
There is more to getting seperates than "higher spl"


Personally I prefer seperates, once you go over a certain budget it's wiser going down seperates. It has pros but cons too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1520762/receiver-vs-separates-advantage#post_24439246


There is more to getting seperates than "higher spl"


Personally I prefer seperates, once you go over a certain budget it's wiser going down seperates. It has pros but cons too.

Can you share any more details from your experience?


Such as the pros and cons? And at what price point is it wiser?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top