AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time lurker, first time poster. my apologies if this is in the wrong place, and also for the fact that it's a bit lengthy.

i recently got a panasonic 42" flatscreen, and i'm looking to up my audio experience a bit. however, my stereo receiver is OLD (though in great shape!), and it doesn't have what i need anymore, so it's time to purchase a new one. i'm not looking for audiophile quality, nor am i looking for surround sound (though i'm not opposed to it for the right price). my current setup is all analog channels run through L and R speakers. nothing fancy.

here's what i have that needs to be run through this new, yet-to-be-purchased-or-even-decided-upon-receiver:

xbox (hdmi)

dvd/vcr (hdmi)

cable box (hdmi)

turntable (rca)

cassette deck [yes, really] (rca)

ps2 / wii (rca)

also, the only audio out from my TV is optical.

it looks like i need a receiver with at least 3 HDMI inputs and one HDMI out (for the TV? this is where i become confused.) also i obviously need a few analog inputs.

here's the way i have it in my head, please, feel free to correct me if i've made any mistakes...

- xbox/dvd/cable box into (3) HDMI ports

- turntable/cass./ps2/wii into (3 or 4) RCA ports

- optical audio OUT from the tv IN to the receiver

.......right?

i'm an A/V guy, so i should be able to figure all this out without much issue, but i wanted to consult some others before i go out and buy anything.

oh yeah, my original question... any recommendations for a receiver that will meet my needs?

thanks!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy vomit /forum/post/19619971

budget would be under $200. i'm not sure about power offhand.

Oh. That will make it tougher. You might be best served by looking for close-outs from last years models since $200 puts you below the low end MSRP for the standard brands. Denon's bottom model is $249, Onkyo's is $299, H-K is $399, etc.

Check out accessories4less, shoponkyo, newegg, etc for bargains in leftovers.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmical /forum/post/19620829

If it wasn't for the turntable, the Onkyo HT-RC230 seems to fit the bill. It will accept a turntable input, but the turntable will need its own phono preamp.

If you add a phono preamp, any AVR will accept turntable input on an analog stereo input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out

5 RCA input sets (4 Audio/Video, 1 Audio only)

2 (assignable) optical inputs

1 (assignable) coaxial input

Link to product page:

Onkyo-HT-RC230-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver

I have this receiver. Cable hdmi input through hdmi output to tv hdmi input works great. RCA dvd has audio but NO VIDEO.

Wii, I'm using the cable with bl, gr, rd video and red and white audio with NO VIDEO. I get sound, no video. I think the manual says I need to run an RCA cable from the received to the TV in addition to the hdmi???

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

your avr will not convert component input to hdmi output, so yes, you will need to run component cables from the avr to the tv...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts