AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a receiver to use with a pair of active-biamped speakers that I have. These are speakers that I custom made a while back. They don't have crossovers inside; rather they rely on an outboard active electronic crossover which seperates out the high and low frequency signals, which are then sent to seperate amps directly connected to the mid and tweeter drivers.

I could use this setup with a new receiver by sending the main speaker signal from the new receiver to the active crossover, then to an outboard 4 channel amp I have (for mid/hi left/right).

But I'd rather ditch the active crossover and outboard amplifer and use a receiver that has all that built in. So I'm looking for a receiver that could allow me to tell it to filter out the frequencies above about 3.5kHz from front Left/Right (so I could drive the midwoofers), and send the same signal with the frequencies below 3.5Khz to one of the rear channels that nobody uses, so I could drive the tweeters from there.

I've not seen anything like this, but there's no reason it couldn't exist!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, after looking around I couldn't find any receiver that could amplify mid and tweet signals separately.

But I had another related idea... I wonder if there are any receivers that can serve as amplifiers for the sub(s) I have that do not have built in amps. This would require the ability to redirect the .1 sub channel into say one of the unused rear channel amps, or even into the center amp (since I don't use a center). The more I think about this, it seems like any receiver that has the ability to use the extra amps for a separate "zone" should work, although there might be ergonomic issues with keeping that zone from getting switched to sources other than the sub out.

This all used to be so easy back in the days of receivers with main-in connections, but newer receivers don't have much the ability to patch into the amps.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Look for a receiver with Pre Out and Amp option in plus an external active crossover connected in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfKnee /forum/post/15511051

Okay, after looking around I couldn't find any receiver that could amplify mid and tweet signals separately.

But I had another related idea... I wonder if there are any receivers that can serve as amplifiers for the sub(s) I have that do not have built in amps. This would require the ability to redirect the .1 sub channel into say one of the unused rear channel amps, or even into the center amp (since I don't use a center). The more I think about this, it seems like any receiver that has the ability to use the extra amps for a separate "zone" should work, although there might be ergonomic issues with keeping that zone from getting switched to sources other than the sub out.

This all used to be so easy back in the days of receivers with main-in connections, but newer receivers don't have much the ability to patch into the amps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, the problem is that it seems no receivers are made with "main in" inputs anymore... no receivers made today seem to have the ability to feed in signals to the amps that didn't come from the receiver circuitry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts