AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having secured my video sources and display device, the next step in the evolution of my setup is definately a sound system. I have a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV which is very limited on inputs, so the receiver I buy is somewhat dependent on what is available for video switching. The TV only accepts 1 component input, and 1 s-video input, and has no cable tuner. I'm sure most receivers will accept 2 or 3 component, and multiple s-video/composite feeds, but I have a few recording devices that complicate the matter.

Here is what I currently have:

- Motorola 5100. Outputs component for HD, and s-video for SD and upconverted signal.

- Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder - This is my primary recording unit. It also doubles as my DVD player, but I hope to change that if I can get a good receiver. It should be connected via component also.

- JVC s-vhs - Backup recorder and a second tuner in the event that the DVD recorder is tied up with recording.

- Satellite Receiver - Outputs s-video, but will hopefully be upgraded to an HD unit sometime soon.

- Possible: Better DVD player, would obviously output component.

From the above, here are a few criteria:

The receiver will need minimum 3 component inputs. The Moto 5100, the DVD recorder, and an HD satellite system. 4 would be even better because then I could add a DVD player to the mix.

The recorder adds complexity to the setup. What I woud like is to have every unit feeding the receiver, and then have the receiver capable of sending any of them onto the TV, but sending a different feed to the recorder at the same time. So suppose I'm watching HD from the Moto 5100... I'd be using component through the receiver. But at the same time, I may want to be recording something off the satellite dish. So a second output on the receiver would need to be sending that input onto the recorder.

If possible, I would prefer to even have 3 outputs, so that the svhs could be recording any input also. And finally, I should be able to send 1 feed to both the TV and the recorder at the same time in case I want to record whatever I'm watching.

Does something like this even exist? Currently I have the Moto 5100 and the Satellite going into the recorder directly on s-video. But that causes problems because then the recorder basically does my video switching. So if it is recording something, or burning a DVD, I have no way to watch my satellite. Actually, I split the signal and it runs through my svhs too, but it's far less than ideal.

A primary purpose of the receiver will be to watch DVD, so I'm thinking minimum 6.1, but probably 7.1. And a receiver that doesn't sound very good is out of the question too.

Sorry for the long post. Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I'd say you are asking for way more complicated video switching then any receiver can possibly do. That is made right now, and maybe even in the future as well. The amount of inputs is not so much a problem. But with all your watch this while doing that and and while outputting to this and that kind of stuff like that, is where the problem will be. Also right now to get 3 component inputs on a receiver, for the most part starts to get you into the "Flagship" receiver class more often than not. And getting 4 component inputs, is even harder to find. But that part of it, seems to be rapidly changing now, as most of the newer high end receivers and some mid range ones are offering more component inputs than they did before, and I think 3 will end up being the norm on many of them. But even then, I think 4 of them will probably be the higher number for most of them for awhile, and still on the higher priced units only for awhile yet. So on the component inputs scale, you should be covered, if 3 will do, or 4 if you wish to find the ones that do or will have 4. But the way you are asking for the complicated switching of them, I don't think you will see that on any of them yet. And if you did find one that could switch like you want it to, the price of one would probably be fairly high, if not a the high end only kind of price.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I had figured that might be the case. Basically it boils down to the ability to control 2 video outputs completely independently... And I doubt anything will offer that.

As for price range, I was thinking around the $3000 mark... Do you have any suggestions for a 3 or 4 component input unit in that price range?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
The Marantz 9300 has 2 inputs. I just can't remember what receiver it is that I think has 4 inputs. It may have been a pre-pro that has 4 that I seen, and I confused it with a receiver now also that I think of it a bit more now.

The Sunfire has 3 in and 2 out.

The Denon 5803 only has 3, the Denon 3803 has two. Not sure what Pioneer or Onkyo or Harmon Kardon have but I'm thinking that it's 3 at the max for them right now. The Sunfire Marantz and the Denon 5803 are above $3000 US retail, with the Sunfire and Denon being almost $4500 retail. Now of course you can find them for less, but you may or may not find the Sunfire or Denon in the very low $3000 range from a authorized dealer, closer to $3500 is what I would guess. Plus the 5803 is being phased out now, for a newer model so they are getting a bit harder to find now as well.

There is just so many to chose from, that it's hard to keep track on the specs of one compared to another.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Like Johnla said, the problem comes with you wanting to do so many things at once. I'm very new to all of this but I think I'm even aware that even flagship models of say the Pioneer Elite, Denon, and others don't have it so you can do 3 things at once. Have you ever thought of getting splitter or switch box? Hmm.. I don't think even that would help to do two or three things at one time though.

When it comes to finding a receiver that has at least 3 component inputs I would highly recommend the Elite 47TX which I have right now but thinking of downgrading to the 55Txi (I say downgrade because it is cheaper but it does have some new perks). The 47TX has 3 component Inputs and that is about as many as I've seen on receivers going all the way up to $4500. As for component out I only found one unit that had 2 component out and it was the Sunfire. Even then I don't think you could be directing 2 different signals through at once but probably just send 1 signal to two places. Anyway, if you want 3 component inputs I would recommend the 47TX since it just had the big price drop. Of course if you are wanting to spend $3000 then you can get the 49Txi which has all the new gadgets and inputs plus 3 component inputs and one out.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thanks so much to all of you for your input. It looks like I'll have to keep my setup very much the same, except I can split my signals and send one through the recorder and the other through my receiver.

Since the recorder has only s-vid and composite inputs, I'll be ok with that approach...

Maybe I would be better off just getting a really good video switch, so that I could have 4 component capability quite easily. As long as it's remote controlled, maybe that would work the best... Then I could focus on just getting the best sounding receiver in my price range.

·
Registered
109 Posts
JVC makes a nifty switcher. The model name is something like jx777 ?? I donlt remember how many inputs but it had fire wire ,s video and component video. There are also a few dvd players on the market that have vga out. That would work nicely for plasma's vga input. Check out Sherwood NewCastles lastest DVD player w/vga output . Not sure of the $$

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maybe you will have better luck but getting a good switchable device for component (or optical audio) seems to go from cheap crap to very expensive. That is one of the few reasons that I haven't already packed up my 47TX and orderd the 55TXi for less money. My cheapo Sony A/V switcher ($40 to $60) does the job PRETENDING to be a component switcher but if you wanted to get picky at all then you would say it was pure crap for using as a component switcher. Like I said it does the job.... :( Then again you are ready to spend $3000 on a receiver so maybe spending several hundred bucks on a component switcher is in your budget.

As an example the JVC JXS 555 Switcher with remote is priced at $500 over the net. Keep in mind that most of these component switches will not convert S-Video and composite to component like the receivers do. Some might but ones I've glanced at don't seem to.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was reading the specs on the Denon 4802 and 5803 and I think they might provide enough functionality for what I need, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reading the manual seems to indicate that there are 3 AV inputs that have outputs right beside them. These outputs basically duplicate their corresponding inputs and the manual shows them being looped back to VCRs. This would suite my needs almost perfectly. Can someone with one of these receivers confirm that this is how they function? And I assume that it only works with the receiver on - is that the case?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Nope, the 4802R and the 5803 will not let to do all the switching, while watching other things as you first mentioned that you were looking for. Because whatever input you pick at the time, is the one you will be watching. You can't pick one, and route it somewhere else, but yet view another one of something totally different. By using either the 4802R or 5803. And so far this is just about how every A/V receiver made, does their video switching. And I really doubt that you will ever see any of them change much in this matter either.

Also the only reason why you see inputs and outputs for the VCR's on them, is because a VCR is one of the few video products that can both record and playback video. So they need both a input and a output to work as just a VCR was intended to. So that's why they both are there for VCR's only. Of course now we have recordable DVD's, so those would need such a thing also now.

You may be able to dub from one VCR to another VCR, while watching something else, but I would not count on it. Unless either of those recivers specificly has a "DUB" fucntion in it, to do so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Yamaha RX-V2400 has the ability to route a different feed to the Video Zone2/Rec Out ports.

I haven't used this function yet (just got this receiver last weekend), but from what I've read in the manual, I should be able to watch one video feed on the TV, and record another "receiver routed" video feed on my VCR. The receiver uses a dial selector to set the source of the Zone2/Rec Out video ports.

Of course, the Zone2/Rec Out video feeds are limited to S-Video/Composite. Since the 2400 is limited to 2 component video inputs, and it's video conversion is limited to UP-conversion only (i.e. you couldn't use a VCR to record off of your DVD's component input), it certainly isn't the receiver you are looking for.... but this could mean that the Yamaha flagship receiver has all of this functionality and then some, so if your budget is large enough, you might want to take a look at: Yamaha RX-Z9

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Johnla, are you saying that the 2nd VCR output will only be activated if it's corresponding input is selected on the receiver for viewing? So you would then get an upconvert on the MONITOR component output and the same feed in s-vid form on that secondary VCR output?

IDSmoker, I think the V2400 may in fact work for my purpose. Since my current DVD recorder (Panny HS2) doesn't have component input anyways, I could probably live with just s-vid for now. One day it would be nice to have a recorder that uses component in, but for now the s-vid functionality might suffice.

I have been considering other options as well. A problem with having the receiver do the switching is that for unattended recording, I'll have issues where the source will be set to the wrong thing on the receiver when I'm gone.

Maybe just a large active video splicer would work. Is there any device that has 3-4 inputs each with composite, s-vid, component, and optical and then 2 outputs for each of the inputs? If not, surely I could buy 3 or 4 individual units that split a feed (including optical) into 2 outputs. Any siggestions?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Felgar
Johnla, are you saying that the 2nd VCR output will only be activated if it's corresponding input is selected on the receiver for viewing? So you would then get an upconvert on the MONITOR component output and the same feed in s-vid form on that secondary VCR output?
I am saying I "think" it's that way, as I don't actually have a 4802R or 5803, and from reading up on it via the online manual. Even though I had one (a 5803) on order for almost two months now. (as they are now being discontinued and very hard to get, for a good price now) And I do not wish to order one from another source and have to pay $500 more than I would have paid for it, from the authorized dealer who was trying to order it for me, and I will not buy one from a non-authorized dealer. So for now I'm waiting to see what Denon has as a replacement for the 5803, but guesses are, that it may not be announced until Jan 2004, and I doubt that I will wait that long. And will probably buy something else now instead.

Also I never really looked into doing the type of video switching that you wish to do either, as I myself don't have those needs. So I just can't say with a 100% accuracy that it can or can not. But only what I "think" it may be, from glancing over it's specs.

The only things that I really wanted, that the 5803 has. Was the 3 component inputs, the conversion of composite and SVHS to component out to my RPTV, and the dual 8 channel analog inputs, as I have both a SACD player and a DVD-Audio player that needs analog inputs to use those formats. In fact like you, I could really use 4 or more component inputs, as I have 3 DVD jukebox's that could use them. A HD satellite tuner that can use them, and the DVD-audio player that could use them. So a total of 5 of them would be really nice to have for me personally. But I will just buy a component switcher to get my 2 more that I need, over the 3 that it has.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.