AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone,

Our Sony STR-DE1075 receiver is sick. The source selector won't switch via the front panel knob. It will switch from the remote however.

So I picked up a "brand-D" receiver. As I expected like most new receivers it is designed to route the HDMI source through the receiver. With the Sony, the HDMI cables went to the TV and the receiver handled just digital audio via the optical interface. Since the new receiver only has one optical digital signal, I have routed the three HDMI cables (DirecTV DVR, Media Center HTPC, and Panasonic BD player to the TV. Then the TV's optical digital output back to the receiver's lone optical input. It does work but in fact this receiver almost cannot be operated without the on-screen display. The receiver's monitor video IS connected to a comp. video input on the TV but of course you have to switch away from whatever you are watching or listening to. Other than basic source selection and volume, you can't really operate the receiver. It gets into modes where I have to power down the receiver to "get it back".

I don't want to have to use the receiver for watching news and TV programs. Only music, sports, and action stuff. To me the DD TV sound is awful for "normal" TV viewing-- especially commercials. Setting the bass so music sounds good makes TV commercials sound like turntable rumble from the old days. I literally have to turn down the volume on the sub woofer with its own knob. No way to do it with the receiver (I think anyway) since you can't see what your doing (unless the video IS routed through the receiver). Pass through is supposed to work on the new RX but it is basically whatever input source was used last.

Before I take this back to BB and regroup, can anyone comment? I'm sure you all know this well respected brand.

Thanks,

Terry,

·
Registered
30,789 Posts
Sure. All modern HDMI-equipped AVRs are designed to be the center of the system with all sources connected directly to them and a single HDMI out to the display. Your setup precludes getting any of the HD codecs for sound from your Blu-ray player and compromises the sound for all sources. Pass through of the last source when powered down is the usual arrangement.

I doubt you will find anything that functions much differently.

BTW, since it is a "brand-D," it is likely that it has Audyssey setup and roomEQ. Did you use it?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19566120

Sure. All modern HDMI-equipped AVRs are designed to be the center of the system with all sources connected directly to them and a single HDMI out to the display. Your setup precludes getting any of the HD codecs for sound from your Blu-ray player and compromises the sound for all sources. Pass through of the last source when powered down is the usual arrangement.

I doubt you will find anything that functions much differently.

BTW, since it is a "brand-D," it is likely that it has Audyssey setup and roomEQ. Did you use it?

Hello Kal,

Yes I did. It consistently said the RF speaker was out of phase. I triple checked it. Red to Red and Black to Black. It did say to ignore the message if I'm sure it's right.

The Sony actually had the same behavior with respect to the excess bass on TV. But I could easily adjust it with the remote.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably pull the system out from the wall and connect it the way it is intended to be connected Friday. I'm "grounded" here waiting for a service call on the HVAC and the wife will be at work. I can mess with it all day if I like.

I'll have to decide whether I want to compromise the sound for the convenience I want. The Sony sounded great to my ears.

Take care.

BTW, I guess this is a bit off-topic for this forum isn't it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 /forum/post/19567302

I'll probably pull the system out from the wall and connect it the way it is intended to be connected Friday. I'm "grounded" here waiting for a service call on the HVAC and the wife will be at work. I can mess with it all day if I like.

I'll have to decide whether I want to compromise the sound for the convenience I want. The Sony sounded great to my ears.

Take care.

BTW, I guess this is a bit off-topic for this forum isn't it.

Yes, there is a separate forum on AVRs and Pre/Pros.

However, it doesn't mean that occasional OT queries can't be answered here.

As pointed out by Kal above, AVR's are intended to be the central hub of an entertainment center.

All modern CE devices usually have HDMI Out nowadays and a HDMI AVR allows you to reduce your cable count. One cable from each device to the AVR and one from the AVR to the TV.

Also, HDMI has more bandwidth than SPDIF (Optical/Co-Axial) and can thus carry more data. Optical cannot carry High-Def audio, so you have to use HDMI for that.

You may want to check your AVR for pass-through functionality. This allows an AVR to pass the AV signal through it to the TV, even if it is on Standby.

That way the AVR doesn't need to be On if you simply want to use the TV speakers.

However, this setting is known to cause problems getting HD audio out from HTPC.

You can try it and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey hirent,

I guess I'm a little "green" on HD content. The Sony is a 5.1 system. It would be a pain to go all the way to 7 or 9 channels (built-in rear speakers, and so on).

So even with a new AVR I will still be using only 5 speakers + sub.

For HD sound using S/PDIF optical from the TV back to the AVR, I get 2 channel PCM 48KHz, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS if the DVD has it as an option depending on program content. The BDs we own have just DD 5.1 for the highest definition sound. Some DVDs have DTS available in the Audio Setup. Clapton's "One more Car One more Rider" and the Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" DVDs sound incredible in DTS.

So using these formats am I losing sound quality? With the Sony setup I can't tell any difference whether the sound comes from the BD players optical out, or the via HDMI to the TV and optical back out.

My ripped WMA files played back from MC Music Library also sound great. Stereo only of course.

What usable sound formats am I missing out on if I just run optical from the TV to the AVR?

Thanks,

Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts