AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a Sony DA80ES receiver (second to the top of Sony's first Dolby Digital line--100 wpc/5.1, no DTS). I'm using it to drive NHT VT-2s and VS-2s.

I'm considering a new receiver in the near future but I have some odd features I'm looking for.

I'd like to be able to buy a 7.1 surround receiver in which I could dedicate 2 channels of amplification to the front left and right speakers. The NHT VT-2s are biampable and very power hungry.

The receiver I looked at in the store was the Pioneer 53TX and it looks like it can't do this. I realize I can always buy the Pioneer (and some other receiver) and add amplification later but I'm trying to figure out what I can get right out of the box.

I'm a little behind on what the good receivers out there are. I used to hear good things about the Denon 5800-5803 but I recently read some pretty informed comparisons here at avsforum that stated the 5803 did not sound better than the M-Audio Revolution soundcard. I own the M-Audio card and I think it's good for what it is, but I still think this is a bit of an insult to the Denon.

Knowing what I know now, if I had the funds, I would go for an Anthem pre/pro and Classe amps. However, this is a bit more than I'd like to spend and a lot more than I can spend anytime soon. Still if I have enough people tell me that the newer receivers simply aren't much better than my DA80ES (except fro the ability to playback DTS) then I may go ahead and pick up a Classe CA75 (6x75wpc amp) to use with my current receiver for now and look into more upgrades later.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is an insult to the Denon...and I'd have to totally disagree with that statement. That statement is equivlant to saying that the M-Audio card is as good as some of your best AV Receivers and Seperates which we both no is not true. But to everyone their own opinion. You know how that goes.

For what you are looking for the Denon can do all of it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Denon is also still pretty pricey so even if the statement regarding the M-Audio card is left field, I need to evaluate the less expensive options. In my experience, Pioneer Elite has always been a good bang for the buck so that's why I started there.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hmmmm. I thought I replied to this. Well, anyway, the new NAD T773 is going to have pre-out/main-ins for all channels, so you can easily take the back rears and assign them to bi-amp duty. At 110W/ch RMS all channels, that's lots o'power for under $2K. As much power as the Denon, anyway. Since NAD always underrates their stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if the NAD can't make up the 8W measured difference.

·
Registered
813 Posts
rtype,

The Pioneer VSX-49TXi allows bi-amping the front speakers. It limits the user to a 5.1 setup when you use the bi-amp capability. (The pre-outs for the surround back speakers go dead when bi-amping is selected.) The Pioneer puts out about the same actual power as the Denon 5803 per independent tests.

Personally, I prefer keeping the 7.1 capability, so I use an external amp for my front speakers. Used amps are readily available for reasonable prices; some are of high quality.

Bill

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't only have 5 speakers and don't currently have a room to support any more than that. I might be able to get a 6th if I really thought it would be worthwhile in my setup.

I'm not sure how main ins the 53TX has or whether running a cable on the outside from FL/FR pre-out to the extra rear main ins would be functional while using other inputs and outputs or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.