AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me but I have been out of the HT loop for awhile because I ran into some health/financial problems and sold most of my HT. I am now rebuilding it and so far I have spent quite abit less then I did the last time around yet I am getting alot more than my dollar purchased a few years ago.

I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5660 for only a $30 discount off of the list price of $500 at Best Buy , I could have had it for quite abit less if I bought it somewhere else. Anyways I cannot believe the value this receiver is, the amplifer section as well as the features are on par with what was selling for $1000 list or better several years ago.

There must be some stiff competition amongst the electronics giants these days...I sure as heck aint complaining. :) Overall they will get more money from me anyways because I can afford to upgrade way more often when they are giving me this kind of value. :cool:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
There are lots of great bargains with both electronics and computers nowadays. About 5 years ago, I would pay $300 for an Asus motherboard. Now, a good Asus board runs about $125. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can only imagine how much we'll get for the dollar in the next few years. Digital amps will make things more inexpensive probably, making the competition even more intense at the bottom. I am hoping at least.

·
Registered
663 Posts
it's amazing what even $200 street can buy these days - 5.1, dd/dts, component video switching, etc. i was considering buying one of those just for the component video switching since the $1k unit i bought just a few years ago doesn't have it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Remember when memory (RAM) was waaay expensive? Look at how cheap that is today and even the prices on Hard drives, etc. is way low.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 9volt
it's amazing what even $200 street can buy these days - 5.1, dd/dts, component video switching, etc. i was considering buying one of those just for the component video switching since the $1k unit i bought just a few years ago doesn't have it.
yeah on paper they appear good, but beware of quality and bandwidth performance on some low priced AVRs. I purchased a $300 Sony AVR and it showed severe video noise on the S-video for one of the inputs. Swapped the AVR for another and checked the cables, problem still was there. So back it went..... buyer beware.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
This is not a new trend, as the high end stuff gets better. What used to be the high end features then end up in the lower priced products as well. This has always happened, even back in the days of stereo only gear it has been this way. High end, mid range, and low ends prices always stay about the same give or take a few, from year to year. But the features at all price points always get better and better from year to year for the most part. So no matter what price point you buy at, you almost always end up with "more" than you would have got even just 2 years ago, for that same price that you are paying now

This is what you can call, GOOD progress!

·
Registered
813 Posts
As microprocessors get less expensive, receivers gain features at reduced prices. However, low-cost receivers have not improved in the amplifier section, notwithstanding the manufacturers' power claims. Power supplies cost money, so many manufacturers tend to skimp on amplification. It is not unusual for major name brands to produce 40 watts per channel in 7 channels while claiming 100 watts per channel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.