AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AVS!

Sorry to be one of those people. You know - the ones who only create an account because they need help! But being new to the world of proper AV equipment, I'm at a loss. And this is the best place to ask for that help!

Basically, I'm on the hunt for an AV receiver that has multi-channel analogue inputs. From what I've been reading recently, that's nigh on impossible to find on new entry-level gear, and given that high-end stuff is beyond my budget, and needs, I'm gonna have to go the second-hand route. Obviously waiting for a specific model to crop up in the local small ads might take a hell of a long time, so I'm hoping I could cast my net a bit wider by getting you to recommend some older models that I could keep an eye out for. Anything really from the last 5 years or so that would have been well received (no pun intended) by reviewers and consumers.

I'm not too bothered by all the other features and whatnot, so long as it has multi-channel analogue input (5.1 is fine) and was a solid, well put together and well reviewed machine at the time. Hopefully I'll get enough recommended models on my shortlist that I'll be able to find one of them cheap enough in the next month or so. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any feedback and ideas!

Victor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply allargon!

Sorry for not leaving a budget - I figured second-hand prices would fluctuate a lot. I'm also in Europe, so exchange rates and tax differences might make any amount I mention moot. But if it helps, let's say $250 - $300 would be as high as I'd want to go.

As for the speakers, I haven't invested yet because I want to make sure I can get a suitable receiver. But I am keen on the Wharfedale DX-1HCP, Canton Movie 125 MX and Tannoy HTS101 (yep, I'm a noob, so buying a complete set makes sense for me at this point).

Thanks again for the response btw - hugely appreciated!

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Note that multi-channel analog inputs are typically not available in a current entry level budget AVR, you should probably check out last year's models...

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1470606/receivers-shortlist/0_100#post_23264785

Note that multi-channel analog inputs are typically not available in a current entry level budget AVR, you should probably check out last year's models...

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the thread - a list of older models (with multi channel analog inputs) is what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1470606/receivers-shortlist/0_100#post_23264857

I'd think it might be easier to get a new sound card with digital out.

I want to use analogue inputs, it's not that I have to.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic77  /t/1470606/receivers-shortlist#post_23265249

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the thread - a list of older models (with multi channel analog inputs) is what I'm looking for.

As posted previously, multi-channel analog inputs used to be a standard AVR feature but now are deleted.

So shopping for an older model is your best bet..

What is your budget?

Also buying a used AVR has some risks..

So I did qwlk scan of e-bagger and found a brand new harman/kardon AVR154 which has multi-channel analog inputs..

Here is the link..

www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Harman-Kardon-AVR-154-5-1-Channel-40-Watt-Receiver-/140967076711?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item20d24ae367

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

Fixed..😃

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1470606/receivers-shortlist#post_23265380

As posted previously, multi-channel analog inputs used to be a standard AVR feature but now are deleted.

So shopping for an older model is your best bet..

What is your budget?

Also buying a used AVR has some risks..

So I did qwlk scan of e-bagger and found a brand new harman/kardon AVR154 which has multi-channel analog inputs..

Here is the link..

ww.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Harman-Kardon-AVR-154-5-1-Channel-40-Watt-Receiver-/140967076711?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item20d24ae367

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

I get a dead link....It's missing a w at the beginning...

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic77  /t/1470606/receivers-shortlist#post_23260549

Thanks for the reply allargon!

Sorry for not leaving a budget - I figured second-hand prices would fluctuate a lot. I'm also in Europe, so exchange rates and tax differences might make any amount I mention moot. But if it helps, let's say $250 - $300 would be as high as I'd want to go.

As for the speakers, I haven't invested yet because I want to make sure I can get a suitable receiver. But I am keen on the Wharfedale DX-1HCP, Canton Movie 125 MX and Tannoy HTS101 (yep, I'm a noob, so buying a complete set makes sense for me at this point).

Thanks again for the response btw - hugely appreciated!

Hiyah, Vic!

You should always buy your speakers FIRST! You would then select your receiver (or pre/pro and amp) based on your speakers and amplification.

Tannoys, eh? Very nice!
The HTS101 satellites could probably be driven with an iPhone (not quite), but they don't look to be too thirsty at all. A HK 154 will drive those just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts