AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new Yamaha HTR-6160 / RX-V663 receiver.

My tv is a 32" hitachi picture tube tv which features 700 lines of resolution. My new Yamaha receiver will replace my 8 yr old Sony ES receiver, and, I only use it for Audio hookups. My DVD player's video hookup is direct to the S-Video connection on the back of the tv. I can control my video source by the Tv's 'input' button.

So, since i make video source selections at the tv, what I want to know is, other than convenience, am I losing anything by hooking Only Audio into my new HTR-6160, and not using the receiver's video connections? The only way I could even hook my tv video into the receiver is from the ditgital cable box.. but i dont see the advantage. Using the sony, i did try going from the digital cable box into the Sony ES, and using the Monitor Out jack to go from the Sony ES to the TV via S-Video, and believe it or not, I preferred the picture to the tv via coax connection from the cable box directly!

When I get an HD tv with hdmi ports, then Id naturally hook up via that route from tv to receiver. but for now, what if anything am i losing by not using the video hookup options on my receiver for my picture tube tv?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was asking about VIDEO connections between my picture tube tv and my new yamaha receiver. its all in the original post

Not sure i see what youre addressing in your response to me relative to the question i was posing.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
"am I losing anything by hooking Only Audio into my new HTR-6160, and not using the receiver's video connections?"

This was your question and I answered it.

HDMI is both audio and video....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but do picture tube tvs usually have HDMI connections? Thats why im asking. with analog connectors, i dont think im losing anything NOT hooking up video from tv to receiver, and just using audio connections only, UNTIL i get a hd set sometime in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts