AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that because of better DACs and jitter reduction, this is becoming less common these days. However, Pioneer is coming out with players this fall with 32-bit DACs, as opposed to the 24-bit ones in their current receivers. Is anyone still manufacturing receivers with 7.1-channel analog input these days?

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
As JD points out, 7.1 analog inputs are readily available if you're willing to pay the price differential. For example, Marantz has 7.1 inputs in all three of their SRnnn8 model receivers; that's their current 2013-2014 model line. Newer models won't be announced for a few months, yet. Denon includes them in their top-of-the-line receiver, the AVR 4520 and in some of their lower level receivers in Europe. However, in all of these, the multichannel analog inputs bypass the unit's digital processor, so any bass management has to be provided by the up-stream player device (e.g. an Oppo Blu-ray player).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1524975/receivers-with-7-1-channel-analog-inputs/0_100#post_24547228

Marants - SR5008, SR6008, SR7008, AV8801

Denon - 4520CI

Yamaha - RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030, CX-A5000
I'll bet that all these are more than $200. Out of all the ones you listed, which one is least expensive? If so, I'll just get the American version of the Pioneer BDP-LX58 and connect it via HDMI to either a Pioneer VSX-80 or VSX-1124. I know that the DACs in those are only 24-bit, but I don't think anything is recorded at 32-bit at this time, so I don't think having 24-bit DACs would be a big problem for now.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
7.1 inputs are useful if you upgrade a source and the amp no longer supports that codec, ie I get master audio through (5.1 input) rather than having to drop down to standard dd/dts from bd's.

·
Premium Member
91,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C  /t/1524975/receivers-with-7-1-channel-analog-inputs/0_100#post_24547305

I'll bet that all these are more than $200. Out of all the ones you listed, which one is least expensive? If so, I'll just get the American version of the Pioneer BDP-LX58 and connect it via HDMI to either a Pioneer VSX-80 or VSX-1124. I know that the DACs in those are only 24-bit, but I don't think anything is recorded at 32-bit at this time, so I don't think having 24-bit DACs would be a big problem for now.

Yes, these are all current models at least 3x-20x more expensive with the SR5008 having the lowest MSRP, although then you did not list a budget. For that budget, you're going to want to look at 3-4 year old models most likely.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Using multichannel analog pretty much turns your receiver into just an amp, as all of its digital processing tools are bypassed with such connections. In most circumstances, HDMI is the better choice.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1524975/receivers-with-7-1-channel-analog-inputs/0_100#post_24547351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C  /t/1524975/receivers-with-7-1-channel-analog-inputs/0_100#post_24547305

Yes, these are all current models at least 3x-20x more expensive with the SR5008 having the lowest MSRP, although then you did not list a budget. For that budget, you're going to want to look at 3-4 year old models most likely.
Damn it! Unless Pioneer releases something like the BDP-LX58 without multi-channel analog, it looks like in order to achieve what I want to under $1k, I can either (a) give up the Surround Back 7.1 channels and connect the BDP-LX58 to my older 5.1-channel receiver's multi-channel analog inputs and take advantage of pure DSD and 32-bit DACs, or (B) connect the BDP-LX58 to my 7.1-channel PQLS receiver via HDMI and be able to take advantage of full 7.1, DSD-to-PCM at 176.4KHz with PQLS, using its Burr Brown PCM1691 DACs. Pioneer hasn't released these players yet. I'm just trying to plan ahead. I'd love it if Pioneer released something like the BDP-LX58, but without the multi-channel analog output, because I would then be able to save on a transport and get the VSX-80 or VSX-1124 receiver in order to achieve pure DSD and PQLS via HDMI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts