AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a plasma TV that supports the newest format of HDMI 1.3 and I have a playstation that also supports version HDMI 1.3. My question is if I get a receiver that has HDMI 1.2a is it going to affect the quality of my video if its only passing it thru? Is there much media out there that requires version 1.3 ? I have been hearing things about HDMI 1.3 supporting Deep Color and xvycc, does this really make a visual difference?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Deep Color is a technology looking for an application. xvYCC exists, but does not matter to most people. Neither is used in on Blu-ray, and neither is used on any PS3 game I know of.

The other thing 1.3 gives you is bitstream lossless, but the PS3 does not support bitstream lossless.

Which means HDMI 1.3 is uncritical when talking about PS3.

While you don't need HDMI 1.3 for your current situation, HDMI 1.3 is the current standard for AVRs and has been since 08 or so.

Which receiver are you thinking about?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at the Marantz 7001 but it only has the HDMI 1.2a, I don't think I really need this unless it is going to make a big difference to have 1.3 in the next few years. I currently have an onkyo 605 but am not satisfied with the power and SQ. I think the 7001 would be a huge step up in terms of power and SQ. I would rather have Power and SQ than all the new codecs, especially since I play lots of music and use PCM via PS3.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Note that the PS3 will decode the lossless codecs and transmit them via HDMI/MPCM, so as long as that Marantz can handle that, you are good to go.

The main advantage, as I see it, in an HDMI 1.3 receiver with lossless codecs is the future. It's possible at some point cheaper Blu-ray players could lack decoders. I find that a bit unlikely as secondary audio requires player side decoding and mixing.

And perhaps a future video game console might offer lossless audio, but I don't know why. They could simple send MPCM over HDMI, which would be the simplest solution.

TV will remain Dolby Digital going into the future. Not sure about streaming movies like from Netflix. I doubt they will support lossless anytime soon, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
So long as you're using a BD player (and any future video sources) that can decode lossless audio formats and output them as PCM, you're fine with an HDMI 1.1 or higher receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts