AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should probably be posted in the receiver section but I am used to you guys for my support:) I plan on upgrading my receiver and speakers soon and am researching which one I should go with. I have read lots of positive comments on the Ascend line of speakers and will probably go that route. I am also considering the Pioneer VSX-D912k (recent Pioneer proponent:) ) for my receiver. Does anyone have any favorite receivers, preferably under $1,000? Thanks your input.

·
Registered
985 Posts
As a receiver forum lurker, I know that the Sony 4DAES is one of the most popular, and can be found for around $600 over the internet. Proponents claim it beats most any $1000 receiver - at only $600! It may be my next purchase.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I've been auditioning the DA4ES recently along side of several comparable models (Pioneer 45tx and a few others). I've pretty much decided on the Sony at this point. Even though I know from past work in the HT biz that Sony overstates their power ratings, I know it can put out more than enough volume for me. In addition, it has pretty good bandwidth in component switching (80mhz), upconvesion of composite to s-video, and enough inputs to cover just about anything you could throw at it.

The Pioneer models definately have a nice thing going with the Auto Calibration (MCAAC), but the 45 lacks upconversion of video, and only has 50mhz component bandwidth. I've not auditioned the upcoming Pio model, nor seen it's specs yet.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Marantz 4300 amp with 5 Cambridge soundworks satellite speakers and a powered sub all for under $700. Sounds better than ANY other surround sound system I have ever heard. Value wise incredible!!!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyMon
Uh oh, here we go again. :)
And he's off.......seeking "truth" again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
FYI, I've read a couple of times in the last two weeks that the Sony DA4ES is being discontinued and that supplies may soon be limited. I haven't confirmed this, but if you're considering this receiver, it might be wise to do some research now.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-V800, the current equivalent is probably the 1300. I chose it mainly because it could switch a lot of devices. It sounds really nices as well.

The switching is mainly S-Video (about 8 different inputs) but it does also have 2 Component inputs to switch. If I were getting a new receiver I'd look for one with more Component switching capability. The problem with that is there arn't many which do and they're the really expensive ones.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have narrowed down my choices to the following receivers:

1. Pio 912k

2. Pio 45tx

3. Sony DA4ES

4. Harmon Kardon 525

Out of all these receivers, it seems like the Pio 912k is the best bang for the buck. It is considerably cheaper than the others and seems to be full of gadgets. I've always loved the look of the HK receivers. I've also heard good things about the true wattage ratings of the HK's. I guess I need to decide if its worth spending $500-$700 more for a receiver over a Pio 912k ($323 Shipped).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm an Audiophile and have lots of time/money tied up in my 2-channel music system. I've been playing with HT for a couple of years and have owned many different receivers. After buying the last one, I've finally gotten to the point where I'm not looking for a different HT receiver. It is the

SONY DA4ES

I've owned Sony STR-930DB,940DB, Denon AVP-3300, Pioneer VSX-850S, B&K AVR-202. The DA4ES is the only one that has left me not wanting.

The B&K was more powerful and had better 2-channel music, but I already has a much better 2-channel rig and the ergonomics were a pain. The Denon sounded pretty good, but I hated the remote and control sequences. The Pioneer was junk (IMHO). The cheaper Sony's were OK too, but I do prefer the DA4ES.

The only issue is the remote is odd. I understand its functions because I had previous Sony's. It does not have direct chennel access for TV/VCR as it does not have a number pad. If you think you want the Sony, check out the remote before buying. Most HT remotes are complex, the SOny is fairly simple, but different.

Enjoy,

TIC

·
Registered
698 Posts
maximus,

I have the sony 2es and I highly recommend the sony es line.One of the really good things about the es series is that it can handle video sources up to 50mhz bandwidth.Perfect for hdtv.I have my whole system hooked up to the 2es.Component switching is perfect(no signal loss at all)They(the es line) have lots of features and lots of power!!I also auditioned the denon 3802 extensively before I decided on the 2es.Good luck bm

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had an HK Yamaha and Denon hooked up to my HT. Decide on the denon (2800) The HK sounded very good in stereo but Dolby content sounded much better on the Denon - yamaha never compared in my opinion...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.