AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather unusual setup (or _will_ have once I'm done) in that I'm using my PC to do DSP-based speaker xover/eq and room correction. This means that I want/need to run ALL channels through my dsp before sending them out to the amps, and also that I need a lot of amp channels due to the active xovers - at least 10 channels total, possibly as many as 14. I already have a motly collection of 2-channel amps, but I don't want to end up with 7 separate boxes - my wife would throw me out.

Obviously, separates would appear to be the right answer here, and that would be great except for the cost. Even a cheap prepro/multichannel amp will likely run $2500 or so.

In reading the lit on the NAD T762 and even T752, it *sounds* like they have "true" pre-out/main-in connections for all channels, which would allow me to insert my PC/DSP into the loop albeit at the cost of an AD/DA cycle, and could then reassign the amp channels within the receiver as desired/necessary to support the active xovers.

Can anyone confirm this?

Are there any other receivers that might be candidates for this type of application? My impression is that most have pre-outs but no main-in, and the best they offer is 'assignable' amp channels which wouldn't do me any good for this application.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The T752 had 3 main-ins for front channels and the T762 has 6 main-ins for all channels.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
If you do decide to go the separates route, I just noticed a nice feature about the ATI 6012 amp used in the Linkwitz Orion speaker. It has volume controls for each pair of the 12 channels. They are apparently motorized pots controlled by switches hooked to the euroblock connectors on the back panel. That would be handy for maximizing your digital signal level.

http://www.ati-amp.com/at6012.html

http://www.ati-amp.com/images/6012/AT6012-back.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Catapult - thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the ATI had that feature. Very interesting. Since my primary external signal source is likely to be a Universal player (currently Pioneer 45a, considering a Denon2900) that includes DD/DTS decoding, this would also be a viable option. I'd miss out on the synthesized surround modes and video switching, but I'm not entirely sure I'll use those anyway.

One reason I like the NAD route though is that it gives me some flexibility - I can use it as a 6 channel integrated amp/8 channel preamp via the 7.1 inputs, or as a prepro + power amp by patching into the pre/main loop, or as a plain-vanilla receiver if I want to swap my gee-whiz dsp stuff out of the system for whatever reason.

However, the ATI would be pretty much perfect for the direct path approach. Hmmmmm.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.