AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SVGA Sony LCD projector I've been reasonably happy with for the last 18 months. Lots of tweaking and working to improve black levels, color and so on....

About four months ago the projector started developing blue blotches along the bottom of the image, over the next few weeks they started to spread, so back to Sony it went. While waiting for the LCD to return I connected a computer monitor to my HTPC, and WHAM, the image about knocked me over. I called my wife over and she was wowed too. It was so much more immersive and 3D than the LCD.

I had to get that image up on the big screen, so I started reading this forum and before I knew what happened my petite little 7 lb LCD turned into a 165 lb Barco 1208 from Curt. It has only had a first go round of adjustment but already the image absolutely amazing (preaching to the choir).

Thanks for all the advice! Here are some screen pics...

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c..._green_car.jpg

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c.../toy_story.jpg

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...ini_driver.jpg

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I stopped at a gas station for gasoline today, and there were LCD display panels at each pump station, they were showing CNN or some other news station. I was rather impressed!

Now I've finally found a good use for the technology...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Chris,

Welcome to the world of CRT projection. Nice screen shots. What are you using for a digital camera?

--Jerome

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's great news. I am in your same boat; I have an SVGA LCD that I am thinking about upgrading. As soon as I can pay off the house painters, and plumber, maybe I can live the dream...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jsaliga:

The screenshots were taken with a Minolta Dimage S304 camera.

plain fan:

The screen is an 87" x 49" DIY , the screen is actually still grey. I intend to paint it soon, probably with Screen Goo. The projector is set for 1152 x 864 resolution, fed by a Radeon equipped HTPC.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Chris,

Those are certainly impressive pics! Chris is very close by so my family is going to invade his home tomorrow to take a closer peek!

Ted

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mp20748
I stopped at a gas station for gasoline today, and there were LCD display panels at each pump station, they were showing CNN or some other news station. I was rather impressed!

Now I've finally found a good use for the technology...
Where in Maryland was this?

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Not to critique, but everything is a bit greenish. Is that the camera or the projector? If it's the projector, go into the color balance' menu and push the green and blue gains a bit.

Heck, maybe it's my computer monitor...:)

Curt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi mysphyt,

Welcome back to the CRT world :>. I agree with Curt, fleshtones appear a bit green (No Curt it's not your monitor :p). It really shows in the outline of her face. Other than that, awesome pics and glad there is another convert back to good ol' CRT.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Grey screens COLOR-SHIFT...so the unit may actually be spot-on.

If there is no blooming.. until you push your contrast controls noticeably higher than where they are when you are normally running..then leave them alone.

It could also be that you are running the PJ a bit high..due to the Gray screen, just to get the brightness you feel you need. Watch out for that. Turn the image controls down a hair, meaning the contrast control . If the color balance shifts....(from the slight changes on the contrast control..this is if the control is labeled 1 to 10..and you move it about 1/2 a full number change..like from 5.5 to 6) then there is good chance you are running the PJ too hard.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well, I just came back from Chris' house and I can't tell what I liked better, the image from his Barco 1208 or the wonderful hospitality of he and his charming family!

I was particularly taken with the re-manufactured tubes from VDC. This was a Curt Palme rig that was really done well! Chris just received the unit and by the time he's done with the Goo screen and perhaps some minor light issues (white ceiling primarily), I'll be so jealous I won't speak with him any more.

This was the first time I had seen VDC tubes in action, and I must say I am given hope for the long term viability of CRT. Like the Energizer bunny.

I'm glad I'm on the dark side!

Ted

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ted,

I'd drop the 'r' from Curt's last name if I were you... Unless, of course, he's taken up a new hobby in front of his many CRTs.

"No, Curt that's not color shift that is making the movies blue..."

LOL

Sean

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Ha ha Chris! A few months ago I studied your very well done theater web site. And I wondered how long a guy so obviously deep into home theater would last with a low contrast Sony LCD business projector. I guess I got my answer! He he, welcome to the dark side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.