AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a full page color add in the Friday USA Today.


In Huge letters it said.

Add HD to your DVD for just $149.


then in smaller letters

Play HD DVDs and also play your current DVDs in near HD picture quality.


Then a large picture of the A3 and the price ($149) flanked by the other two and their prices.

Then it says 2 free HD DVDs in the box and 5 free by mail with pictures of the two and some of the 5.


At the bottom it says available at Amazon, BB, CC, and Wal-Mart and other authorized retailers.


This is the best ad I have seen to date for HD DVD, and comes directly from their recent press release.


Any other examples?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Before Xmas, I heard quite a few HD DVD commercials on 93.7FM in Minnesota. After the Warner announcement, there's been even more commercials -- including referencing the $150 player.


Doesn't sound like Toshiba is giving up anytime soon.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
If only they had pushed this much in 4Q, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation today.


And what's up with Microsoft keeping the add-on at $179 ? They did nothing to help Toshiba retain Warner and now they're doing nothing to help them survive. What a strange business partner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I was at Best Buy today and the tag said "Toshiba Upconversion DVD and HD DVD player" It seems they are really trying to emphasize that it upscales. Only problem is the tag said 1080i and it was the A30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance /forum/post/12877255


If only they had pushed this much in 4Q, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation today.

I think this bad situation can prove that consumers really likes HDDVD. Let's see by the end of this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrum /forum/post/12871382


Just saw a full page color add in the Friday USA Today.


In Huge letters it said.

Add HD to your DVD for just $149.


then in smaller letters

Play HD DVDs and also play your current DVDs in near HD picture quality.


Then a large picture of the A3 and the price ($149) flanked by the other two and their prices.

Then it says 2 free HD DVDs in the box and 5 free by mail with pictures of the two and some of the 5.


At the bottom it says available at Amazon, BB, CC, and Wal-Mart and other authorized retailers.


This is the best ad I have seen to date for HD DVD, and comes directly from their recent press release.


Any other examples?

That is a good move on the player marketing side.


They still need to do something with Twins or Combos to emphasize the advantage they have in the software though. Consumers should know hd dvd is the only format offering a disk that plays in all dvd players, high def or regular dvd player.


Missing that is missing the mark...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrum /forum/post/12871382


Just saw a full page color add in the Friday USA Today.


In Huge letters it said.

Add HD to your DVD for just $149.


then in smaller letters

Play HD DVDs and also play your current DVDs in near HD picture quality.

Sorry... I have a problem with this kind of marketing approach as it emphasizes the player instead of the inherent superiority of HD over SD.... it's not pushing HD DVD, it's pushing upconversion. In short, it's not pushing new disc sales for HD DVD, which is what the studios require. Naturally, there will be some who watch the included HD DVD movies and realize that "near HD picture quality" is in fact "not really anywhere near HD picture quality," but enough to make a difference in HD DVD's future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer /forum/post/12877713


I have SD DVDs upconverted on my XA2 that look near HD picture quality. Not most, but some, so I wouldn't call it a lie.

How about an "optimistic exaggeration?" No doubt upconversion can do a very nice job with what it has to work with... but (on larger screens, anyway) it's no match for true HD. Then again, if most people are buying 42" and smaller screens, HD becomes somewhat superfluous anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/12877607


I think this bad situation can prove that consumers really likes HDDVD.

I think, as I always have, that HD DVD disc attach rates prove that consumers really like HD DVD... much more than BD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
Thing that sux, though, is that while I have been watching the NFC/AFC playoffs today I saw BD commercials 3 different times. No HDDVD commercials. If they REALLY want to get out there, they need to shell out on a superbowl commercial for HDDVD!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/12879760


Thing that sux, though, is that while I have been watching the NFC/AFC playoffs today I saw BD commercials 3 different times. No HDDVD commercials. If they REALLY want to get out there, they need to shell out on a superbowl commercial for HDDVD!


Yup I saw that too...they make Blu look MUCH more enticing and "cool" to own...I must say, it seems a lot of folks not in the A/V world I know really do think Blu Ray is much "hipper"...none really ask/talk about HD DVD.


Sony knows how to market things in a way that just makes you want them so to speak....kudo's to thei marketing gurus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
"Hipper" doesn't make it better. :)


Hey, if nothing else, we can tell our grandkids about the great Red/Blue war in the first part of the 21st century. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
What they ought to do in their ads is point out that the Blu-Ray standard isn't finalized yet. If they can get people to stop buying the players, they might be able to get the studios to re-think going with the format. I still have no respect whatsoever for the studios that went with a format with more expensive players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
There is no denying of the fact that the HD DVD players are very good upconverting players. But when it comes to operation times it's light years behind the regular SD DVD players. This is the single most annoying area where Toshiba needs to improve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
"Add HD to your DVD" is a slogan HD DVD should have been using in an ad blitz a year ago.


They've squandered a year in educating the public on HD DVD and it's doubtful they will get that back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
I saw an HD-DVD ad tonight during Amazing Race. It hi-lighted 4 titles - Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers, Battlestar Galactica, and Shrek 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound /forum/post/12880215


"Add HD to your DVD" is a slogan HD DVD should have been using in an ad blitz a year ago.


They've squandered a year in educating the public on HD DVD and it's doubtful they will get that back.


I agree. It is catchy and clearly shows the association with DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway /forum/post/12879807


Yup I saw that too...they make Blu look MUCH more enticing and "cool" to own...I must say, it seems a lot of folks not in the A/V world I know really do think Blu Ray is much "hipper"...none really ask/talk about HD DVD.


Sony knows how to market things in a way that just makes you want them so to speak....kudo's to thei marketing gurus.

Especially the hispanic guy in the Blu-Ray commercial saying "some of my friends have HD-DVD and it's clear but blu-ray knocks it's socks off"

I want to throw something at the TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,545 Posts
I agree that it's time for Toshiba to refer to Blu-Ray in its commercials. It needs to point out the same PQ and AQ quality and then talk about how complete each format is and the difference in cost. "If you don't want to end up with the blus then make the smart choice and buy an HD DVD player!"


Cheers,


Grant
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top