AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should be shocked and unhappy about possibly leaving the recently completed 11x18 dedicated theater room or embrace the opportunity to tackle a project again.

There are things I would do differently and some of the places we are looking at could easily accommodate a much larger room. In one instance we could move all the way up to nearly 24 x 17...

I am still having a hard time swallowing the possibility of letting "her" go. The theater that is.... My wife is even tempting me with the lure of new equipment. Leave the RPTV and room in tact for the buyers and move to a FPTV... Drool, drool, droooooool......

Torn!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"A divorce might be easier."

Easier, perhaps.... Certainly not less expensive! Four kids and a dog in the mix!

She did say the magic words "new equipment"... and could I build the room, acquire seating, lighting, and equipment for 20K.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wives are still better than HTs (at least mine is)...keep her and move.

My basic philosophy, "If wife isn't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Give in to her. I'm sure she's worth it. Think of all she does for you.

Plus, think about the mileage you'll gain for years to come: "I did it for you, Sweetie."

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by E. Martin
Easier, perhaps.... Certainly not less expensive! Four kids and a dog in the mix!
Man, don't let your wife catch you calling her a dog, otherwise you will be getting a divorce and loosing the current theater at the same time!!

Just kidding! Go for the front projection system! (You may want to bring the RPTV too, for the time in-between when you are not done with your theater)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'm with Scott! Grab the dog and move... into a bigger theater!! How often can you use this as leverage to upgrade?? This is opportunity knocking. Roll that puppy into the mortgage and get a 9" CRT!

Ted

·
Registered
326 Posts
IF you can swing the extra cost go full bore and definatly use the"But Honey, I did it for you" line You could get tons of add ins with that line, just play up the leaving of your hardwork and dedication you put into the current room, I have a feeling you will both be very happy in the end and thats what matters.

Think of it this way, You gott a practice chance at your HT room , you probably wont get that in a "good practice wife". Take what you have learned in the past HT room and improve apon it and make it what you have always dreamed.

Jason

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Let's see, you get to build a bigger HT. You get a FP instead of a RP. This sounds like a no brainer. "Oh Honey, you're twisting my arm! OK, I guess I can live with it." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Whereas the idea of a bigger / badder / better HT "building site / clean slate" seems like a dream to many, in the midst of a build, it seems like 3/4 of a nightmare. I would *LOVE* to have my theater complete - and at this point, I'd hate to think of starting over again.

I agree with OlsonGuitar - keep the wife happy (I know that a lot of my happiness hinges on the happiness of my wife), but you always want to dig a bit on the requirements of what she's after. Maybe she's after something that could be easily satisfied in your existing house.

·
Registered
881 Posts
A spin on OlsonGuitar's philosophy...

My favorite is "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

or

Consider this (moving for her) a MAJOR deposit into the emotional bank account from which you can draw upon for some time to come. Just keep an eagle-eye on your balance 'cause when you get overdrawn, that's when the crap starts flyin'.

As for the promises of new equipment, you think she'd be put off if you ask her to put it into a legal document for you? :D

Roll with it, dude. Think of the first HT as practice and do the second one bigger and badder. If I could (at this rate I'm ready to run away from the freakin' nightmare I've got going on in my HT), I certainly would.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Life is change

Mostly occurring right as we get comfortably seated

The fortunate of us, in time, find that this change is always for the better

While others continue their spiraling quest into the toilet.

This sounds like a change for the better, to me.

However, what may turn to a greater upset is making the call to move, starting in on the details, and then for one reason or another, you have to stay put with your new found hopes of spectacular Theatre dashed upon your brazen resolve.

May the interest rate be kind to you in this, your time of dilemmas. jdb

Note: My "wife" left several years ago: on occasion, I miss the dog.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
Man, don't let your wife catch you calling her a dog, otherwise you will be getting a divorce and loosing the current theater at the same time!!

Just kidding! Go for the front projection system! (You may want to bring the RPTV too, for the time in-between when you are not done with your theater)
Scott, Have you ever heard the phrase, hell hath no wrath like a womans scorn. Watch your back. I showed her your post... :eek:

The reality of the potential move is not that bad. Its the potential commute. We would be tacking over 30 minutes onto an already terrible commute! So instead of an hour to an hour and a half each way we are talking about an hour and a half to 2+ hours on a good traffic/weather day (one way).... Thats a lot of time in the saddle.

The frustration of starting a theater all over would be counter balanced by the ability to design it around my wants rather than physical existing space and reuse of equipment.

Ted, a 9" CRT sounds like a very good idea. However I keep hearing the voices of DLP / LCD technology mocking the notion. They keep saying things like "screw the black level... Would'nt it be nice to watch a movie rather than converge a three gun pj, again....."

JDB, That is my biggest fear/obstacle in this whole thing. Trying to not get my heart set on it (bigger theater) then have the whole deal fall through. The good news is that falling through still nets me a perfectly good theater, thats done. Or as done as a theater room can be, always have to tweak this or that and equipment/technology does change.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Dude, two (2) hours each way? Four (4) hours a day? That's insane.

Maybe your, er...moving in the wrong direction?

OTOH, you could buy a big moving truck to relocate with and then use it for your commuting. The advantage here is to have daily and nightly "pick up's" of say, fresh produce, news papers, or pork bellies, that you hauled back and forth while making the drive to and from work.

Couple of years of this and that LCD of your dreams could be all yours, eh?

(Depending on availability and price of petrol, of course.)

The work year becomes 6000 hours. (with two weeks off on Holiday)

2000 sleeping

2000 working

1000 Driving

This leaves only a 1000 hours to find your car keys - for the year!

"Too bad the Superman capes at K-mart don't enable one to fly." - jdb

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I feel for ya on the long commute. I have 2 hours each way. Fortunately, I take a train to work, so I get to extend my sleep habits, enabling me to stay up later at night, and enjoy my home, wife and theater. Also, I was able to work 9 hour days into the mix so that I get every other Friday off, which is a huge thing for me. On the occational day that I drive (or take the motorcycle) to work, I am pooped by the time 8pm rolls around.

My suggestion is to make the move only if you have an alternate way of getting to and from work, such as mass transit or carpooling. When we were thinking of moving, I knew the train was there, otherwise I wouldn't have even considered it. www.acerail.com

·
Registered
881 Posts
I did a commute like that for about a year in 2001. 70 miles one way. Height of the gas crunch and my baby would only take hi-octane (it got up to about $1.95/gallon). Nasty, nasty traffic quite often (in good weather mind you... fuhgedaboudit if a drop or flake fell from the sky). 1 hour and 40 minutes on a good day. New car that I racked up some serious miles on pretty quickly.

Burned me out, not to mention my wallet. Throw on top of that the loss of daddy-time and the lure of the big $$$ lost it's luster pretty quickly.

Oh well. Live and learn, I guess.

- Ed.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I am waiting for the economy to pick back up so that more companies that are closer to my house will start hiring. I love the company I work for now, what I do, my hours.... But, I don't like the location. 77 miles one way. 70 if I take the shortcut that includes a twisty two laner section.

I am willing to take a pay cut to get something closer to home, just not the 45% that I was offered just after we moved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those commutes are truly insane. I guess I should not be complaining about my 25 minute commute in bad traffic in the evening anymore. Now if only I had that basement I need for a theatre.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.