·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Upgrading from a Sony 400Q that is calibrated correctly is

a hard thing to do if you are on a budget.The 400Q was

and is one of thoes products that was ahead of its time

Its the Lexicon DC-1 in the LCD world if you will.

I have one and am continually amazed by its performace

Granted its a little on the dim side these days but

with it 16:9 pannels and delta pixel arragement it gives

a very film like presentation.This projector also is

the "tweekers dream" in the Service mode.Many of the new

projectors that are being shown at CEDIA this week are

trying very hard to emmulate this projector.

Cheers Ray

------------------

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway !

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Something is wrong with the setup you had seen. I've watched in the neighborhood of thirty-five movies on my 200DM and there aren't any "jaggies" around faces, or for that matter, the rest of the image. The only flaws I see are the ones inherent to the original film quality or DVD transfer.

A BIG mistake a lot of places are making is not switching to the correct format on the 200DM when watching widescreen DVDs. the "DM" stands for "Duel Mode" which can be controlled by the remote control. The widescreen mode, which uses less mirrors, was specifically designed to work with DVDs so no down-scaling is necessary.

I can prove the picture quality of this machine with screen shots, just say the word.

And the 200DM is probably the only DLP (as of now) that has black bars above and below the image in Widescreen mode. If you think the two inch halo is annoying, wait until you see other DLPs. But there are ways to circumvent this.

By the way, I did see some jaggies on the new Sharp, and its black wasn't as good as the blacks I'm now used to with the 200DM.

I suggest you view another 200DM with a good progressive scan DVD feeding it. I have a Panasonic RP-91, which I love, but I'm trying out a Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 this evening. I don't know how much better it will improve the already stellar image, but if it's more than 1% I'm buying it.

I understand your sentiments towards LCD projectors. I lived with one for several years and could never get used to the screen-door effect; and I'm too picky to live with compromises such as defocusing the image.

Also make sure you are viewing the projector on a compatable screen. A lot of the HD stores are remiss when it comes to setting up their viewing rooms. A Stewart 1.3 gain works well with the 200DM.

Ciao,

Peter M

[This message has been edited by videonut (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
videonut

I have been looking into the new Kenwood Sovereign myself and would be interested in hearing how your audition turns out. Thanks

By the way, I assume from your post that you are using a 1.3 gain screen with your 200DM. Did you compare it to the Gray Hawk before you purchased it? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
JDAY,

I found that the Greyhawk made the image a little too dark for my liking, and my wife also feels the same way. But again, that is our opinion and you should view one for yourself. In the end, the only person who needs to be happy is you, so the final decision should be left to your own eyes.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

Ciao,

Peter M

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Peter:

The Sharp and the Seleco are the two projectors I've been focusing on. It was great that you could compare the Sharp directly to your Seleco.

If you have some screen shots of the Seleco, I would love to check them out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyDaves:
Peter:

The Sharp and the Seleco are the two projectors I've been focusing on. It was great that you could compare the Sharp directly to your Seleco.

If you have some screen shots of the Seleco, I would love to check them out. i sw the ht200 and 300 at the show. the 200 did not knock me out so maybe they were not using it correctly as videonut says. the 300 looked good but it is expensive compared to the sharp.

greg

Thanks!
don't forget the new dwin. it and the marantz were at cedia and looked pretty good. the marantz has the faroudja chips.

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
132 Posts
Recently saw a demo of the HT200DM and came away disappointed. I'm looking to replace my Sony 400Q (pixel perfect) which I've had for over 3 years and wanted something quieter, with better blacks and sharper image. Having read the messages on this superb forum it looked like the 200DM was the answer.

The image I saw had a "digital processed" look to it with a jagged pixel structure, perhaps this is due to the size of the pixels. There was no noticeable screendoor but sometimes on bright lights the pixels could be seen. The 400Q has a very smooth, but soft, look to it and for me is more film-like. People's faces on the 200DM had a jagged edge around them.

The image was slightly better using an external scaler, but the progressive NTSC input didn't improve this problem much. PAL images using interlaced were surprisingly very similar in quality to the NTSC progressive. My DVD collection is 2/3 NTSC, rest PAL.

The best bit about the 200DM is the black level, i.e. it HAS blacks, and I didn't realise before how much difference this makes to the image - no going back to an LCD! Rainbows weren't an issue, which I've seen on an HT250 before. Colours were excellent but the whites looked a bit burnt-out at times.

Fan noise is a bit intrusive on the 200DM. It's not the amount but the high pitched nature of the noise that distracts. The 10HT is certainly quieter.

I always wondered what people meant by the "halo" effect on DLP projectors, on the 200DM (in 16:9 mode) it is there to see - a 2 inch graduated edge to the picture that is slightly brighter than the main picture. I don't have a matted screen, but you'd need one for this projector. Another disappointment as the 400Q has a perfectly black edge to its image.

After seeing the 200DM I just could not live with this projector. Spending this sort of money it has to be the right choice and something I'll be happy with for years to come.

Can anybody tell me if the "jagged" look is solved on the higher resolution Sharp Z9000 and similar projectors or is this the nature of DLPs? Also, what about halos?

Currently the options appear to be:

* a Sharp Z9000 - hopefully a smoother image and quieter operation, the HT300 would be too expensive.

* a VPL10HT - fairly cheap but I don't think I could live with the blacks, bad pixels and dust. It does have a similar image to the 400Q though.

* CRT is not an option.

* or something else?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I believe what you are seeing is a result of the superior optical glass in the Seleco. The picture is so clear that the edges can look jagged. If you are used to a soft picture you could de-focus the lense a bit and remove some of that clarity.Of course you would loose some of the picture detail and it would be like the other projectors. I think that the sharp projector was a bit softer because it did not have the superior optics of the Seleco.

·
Registered
132 Posts
videonut,

I tried all the different settings on the projector and was definitely using the correct 16:9 mode. I'd be interested in seeing screen shots, thanks.

The screen was a standard matt white screen, don't think it had any gain. But I don't see how this would affect the image I saw. Perhaps defocusing would help. The progressive player was an expensive one, think it was a Rotel.

Do you know if the Z9000 has a halo?

There is no screendoor on the 400Q, and I didn't see one on the 10HT. But it doesn't help much as now I've seen the blacks on a DLP I don't think I could get another LCD. Seeing Bladerunner on the 200DM was a revelation! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by UKdude (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
UKdude,

I owned the HT200DM for a month and connected to a Rotel progressive player.

I bought the HT200DM right after I saw its exellent color (especially red) and black level reproduction on U571 and Gladiator.

The Rotel was being bought with its unique film-like color tone that gave me a strong movie feel, despite that other Japanese model (i.e.Sony and Pioneer) have sharper pictures.

After a month of trial run. The HT200DM displayed even more points that justified my move to replace my Sony10HT. The pixels could be seen only if you are sitting too close. I follow the rule of 2X as many experience participant in this forum suggested, and for the first time I have owned a real cinema (mini, of course!) in my small home.

As mentioned earlier, sharpness and details are not the strength of Rotel (its a OEM from JVC, looks like the JVC model 721 sold in Japan), however, the edges of images are still smooth and without jagged pixel structure (check if the player had switched to "progressive").

Hope the above information can convince you to checkout the 200DM once more, probably with some other setup. Recently, I have seem the JVC's top DVD player X9000 which displayed a superior image quality than the Sony9000 (both feed to the same 32"monitor and were calibrated on my own).

Lastly, I would say, what disappointed me with the HT200DM was its price. The resolution spec. compared to Sony10HT also confused me for a while. But after confirmed with own eyes I couldn't help but spent all my savings for the "ferrari".

Avloufer

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I'd be interested in screenshots too! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'll have the chance to see this projector soon in a HT fair here in Belgium and will report my impressions.

I still own a Philips LC2000 which was king of lcd in the same years as the SONY 400Q and uses also the delta arrangement which I still think is the best for video (not computer), making him and the Sony very natural looking and not digital but of course, it's still an lcd. The smoothness and naturalness of those projectors is still reference.

I wonder if we will ever see an dlp with a delta arrangement.... could be interesting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a good ideer.....KEEP THE SONY.

Well....i think if you want to go from a w400q and up...then a good DLP might be the way...i still have my w400q and plan to keep it til i se a projector and goo "OHHHH MY GOD"....but since that hasn't habent.......

Nicolas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.