AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess all of you have been reading this forum for awhile. We've all come across comments and complaints about how DTV transmission is (or isn't) working, like these:

-"need a larger antenna"

-"pixellization"

-"weak digital signals"

-"indoor antennas are no good in fringe areas"

-"channels breaking up"

-"lipsynching problems"

-"Antenna upgrade"

-"negative press coverage"

-"picture freezing"

-"inadequate signal strength in almost every case"

-"suffers from electrical interference"

-"not possible to get anything"

-"poor picture quality"

-"reception problems"

-"really crap"

-"picture is a load of ****"

and lots of others....

Well, none of these particular remarks came from Americans.They all were made by British folks.

They came from the British newsgroup "uk.tech.digital-tv" over the last nine days. They are all ultimately referring to the 2K COFDM method of OTA transmission. A lot of them are very, very negative about it.

This post is not meant to be an insult to our British or Oz friends. (or any other country that has adopted that standard). That system obviously does work for many people.

If you're having trouble with your OTA reception, just remember, they are too. It'll get better, but it may take some time.

This does seem to confirm my suspicions that we've been hearing almost 100% lies from the two Bobs about England's "much superior" 2K COFDM.

-Dave

[This message has been edited by dcarl (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarl:
If you're having trouble with your OTA reception, just remember, they are too. It'll get better, but it may take some time.
dcarl, Yes, many of us said it would happen based on the results of the NAB/MSTV test. OTA DTV of any format has to have adequate signal strength in order to work. There is one major difference between the US and the UK OTA DTV, the US is doing HDTV!!

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Dave, thanks for posting this. Those that favor that "other modulation system" often speak as if it is a panacea. They occasionally tout reports of reception problems in this forum as evidence that 8-VSB doesn't work (even though we all know it usually works fine). I am glad to see their argument could be reversed onto their system as well.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can report that my new antenna (Radio Shack 15-2153, $50) was installed yesterday on a 5 foot mast above the roof line. I can report that even without amplification I get all OTA digital signals rock solid. I'm about 16 - 17 miles north of downtown Chicago. The analog picture on both VHF and UHF is as perfect as I've ever seen OTA--no ghosts, excellent clarity and color.

I included a rotator because I suspected I would need to tinker a bit with direction. The antenna looks right through a huge tree. In fact I have to point at a slight angle compared to what I expected from the antennaweb.org chart. But it sure does work!

My next experiment is to try to pick up Milwaukee, about 50 miles North.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Please keep us posted about your results. My antenna also looks through a huge tree, doesn't seem to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike2567:

My next experiment is to try to pick up Milwaukee, about 50 miles North.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Today was the day to play with the Radio Shack antenna rotator. The antenna is the $50 model and there is a cigar amplifier, also Radio Shack, in-line. I don't have the model number handy but it cost less than $30.

I rotated to point North, toward Milwaukee, clicked "DTV Channel Add" and Bingo! In came Milwaukee WMVS (Public Television) on Channels 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4. I could watch home building, Sesame Street, Julia Child or Rapunzel (I think). All channels locked in solid. When it first tuned in there was slight pixellization for half a second but otherwise it was perfect. Picture quality was what you would expect for multicasting.

I don't know if WMVS carries true HD part of the time, but if they do that means I get CBS (AT&T cable), NBC, ABC, WGN, FOX, PAX, Public TV and WSNS (Spanish). Not bad at all. The old rooftop antenna is rising again from the ashes!

Weather conditions for this experiment were clear skies, sunny, 50 degrees F. On the other hand I live in a heavily wooded area and my antenna is pointed directly through large trees. Milwaukee is over 60 miles away (straight line) from my location in Chicago's north suburbs.

If you're still reading maybe you won't be bored by my next comments. While pointing North (actually a few degrees west of north) the antenna is almost exactly 180 degrees away from Chicago's main broadcast tower. Both NBC and ABC came in intermittently from directly behind the antenna. Equally interesting to me was, as I rotated the antenna back from North to South, the Chicago channels (in particular WGN) came in and out about 3 times, presumably corresponding with lobes in the antenna reception pattern. I have also noted that after tuning in to a particular station, I can rotate the antenna quite a few degrees (I would say a range of 40 degrees or more) and still pick up a fully locked in signal. And lastly, the ideal direction for picking up some signals is not pointed directly at the tower, but at a slight angle away. I attribute this to trees, surface topography and/or slight multipath. The rotator helped me to find an ideal aiming direction that I might never have found manually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.