AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the CM 3019 uhf/vhf antenna, but haven't installed as yet. Does anyone know how the uhf portion performs compared to the CM 4248? I'm getting good results with the CM4248 and a preamp, but I needed the vhf. Now I'm thinking I should have gone with just a cut-to-channel vhf and kept the uhf-only antenna. I've done a search on the CM 3019 and not too much came up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
CJ,

Gain specs are on Stark's webpage.The 4248 has 2.3db higher avg.gain on UHF.Quite a bit,however it still might work ok with the pre-amp.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had found the specs and figured it wasn't too great a difference until I saw the antenna. But, believe it or not, even though the UHF portion is much smaller, I am getting the same strength as I did with CM 4248, and somewhat steadier. I'm using the same uhf-only preamp with the CM3019...a Winegard 4800. I'm looking to get a vhf-uhf preamp to boost the vhf portion which is not as steady.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a CM3017 with a VHF/UHF pre-amp.

I am about 45 miles away from SF's Sutro Tower.

I have a great UHF receiption on clear days. And not so good

with VHF from channels 2,4,5. UHF has some reception problems

on stormy days with higher UHF channels [above 50?]

My antenna has a direct path to Sutro Tower though. Assuming that is the case for you, then you might have a better chance if you are less than 45 miles since your antenna is about 1.5 times larger.

P.S. - I tried the CM7777 pre-amp, but I did not see any improvement over my RS $30 cable-amp. So you might try that path first.... since RS's return policy is very good. So I now have a $80 pre-amp unused.... darned it!!! My local TV shop does not allow refund.

Hope this helps.

Dipper :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dipper
P.S. - I tried the CM7777 pre-amp, but I did not see any improvement over my RS $30 cable-amp. So you might try that path first.... since RS's return policy is very good. So I now have a $80 pre-amp unused.... darned it!!! My local TV shop does not allow refund.

Please send me a PM if you are interested in selling that pre-amp.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dipper...thanks for the info. When I ordered the antenna I was ready to get the CM7777 preamp, but they were backordered so i held off. I happened to be at a RS store and saw a $30 or 40$ preamp. I've been thinking of giving that a try in order to better stablize the VHF signal. Without a preamp, it's working pretty well. The RS may lower the UHF signal somewhat (the one I was looking at had a lower rating than the Winegard UHF-only preamp I'm now using), but at least I can try it for 30 days and return it if it really degrades in bad weather.

Here in CT we are in somewhat of a drought, so I can't really judge how things will be from the VHF standpoint when it does rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.