AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the 24th floor of a highrise, approx. 3 miles from Sutro Tower, with just one other highrise in between. I am limited to using an indoor antenna, and although I've tried many, the Silver Sensor definitely seems to be the best. However, even so, I can never be sure from one day to the next whether I am going to be able to pull in a watachable picture. I tried for an hour yesterday and half an hour today to receive the two KQED HD shows without success. The strength meter on my Dish 6000 constantly flickers between 52 or 53 and Zero, but couldn't manage to lock in a picture.

My question is fourfold:

1) Since I am so close to the transmitting tower (and therefore it seems fairly clear that multipath is causing my reception problems) am I right in thinking that a signal amplifier would not help?

2) Has anyone in a similar position managed to find a better indoor antenna than the Silver Sensor (I tried the Radioshack double bow-tie and that wasn't as good)

3) Does anyone know if so-called next-gen 8VSB receivers are likely to be able to overcome such multipath difficulties?

4) Why is it that I can pick up signals from some stations far easier than others, even though they are transmitting from the same tower?

If anyone out there has any practical suggestions, I would be very grateful for their input. Otherwise I guess I'll have to stick to watching DVDs!

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed an outdoor antenna in Union City area and crashed studied on the subject for 6 weeks while doing so. My conclusion was that I needed an unobstructed largest outdoor antenna with signal amplier (long path from antenna to TV) to get all the signals available (2.1, 4.x, 7.x, 20.x, 29.x, 30.x, 36.x, and 45.x). In your case, your indoor antenna may be just to weak, and your location obstructed from the tower.

Try playing around with equipments (Radio Shack has good return policy). The result is worth it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also live on the upper floor of my apartment building in the lower Nob Hill area, and have not yet bought a HD-STB because I am almost certain that I will have major multipath problems at my location. I am therefore resting my hopes on the new 3rd generation chip, which will hopefully be installed in the upcoming Zenith STB. Now if we can only get Zenith to stop pushing back that release date...

------------------

Scott

[This message has been edited by Hi-Tec (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.

Have tried all manner of indoor antennae - Silver is the best of the bunch, but even that still cannot reliably pick up signals.

Had heard of 3rd generation chips, but wasn't aware that Zenith were about to release STB containing it... will keep checking the board for reports on it's ability to cope with multipath problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've just hooked up my Tosh STB to a Rat Shack Double Bow Tie and did a scan to see what OTA HD signals I could pick up.

The only channels my guide shows are:

7-1 KGO HD

35-1 ?

35-2 ?

45-1 ?

Meanwhile, I've checked with TitanTV and they show the following digital channel line-up:

24 ABC

29 CBS

30 PBS

Can anyone tell me what's available OTA? I'm particularly interested in CBS, of course.

------------------

Michael Tchong

[This message has been edited by Prosumer.tv (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
<<Can anyone tell me what's available OTA?>>

The important ones are

24 - ABC

29 - CBS

30 - KQED

56 - Fox, ch 2

57 - NBC, Ch 4

also, from San Jose, 12-1 which is now "News 11" but will be NBC early next year

There's also a WB station with a digital channel, but I forget which, since I never watch it and there's no HD.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
If any of you guys with a Silver Sensor have decided to use a different antenna, I'll happily buy it from you. I'm about to get the 8vsb module for the Dish 6000, and this antenna sounds as if it should be a good match for my location.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Follow-up to prior post.

The RS Double Bowtie only pulls in 24 (KGO-HD) at 58%. I'm at the bottom of Potrero Hill, so it's weird that some report good reception with this indoor antenna and much taller buildings (Manhattan).

Will have to resort to outdoor omni-directional as AntennaWeb recommends. I searched but found no posted experiences with Channel Master 3000A SMARTenna or MS-2000 MetroStar.

Anyone?

------------------

Michael Tchong

Editor, Prosumer Ezine

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
HiRise,

See if you can get a loan of other tuners. Even current ones are different and some handle a particular kind of multipath better than others.

Also try two Silver Sensors with a coupler. Place side by side and adjust angles and with one a bit forward or backward.

[This message has been edited by jhe (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone happen to know whether the signal from the San Jose station that's picking up the NBC affiliation for the Bay Area next year might broadcast from Sutro Tower (in addition to any other location)? I live in Berkeley and get great OTA reception from the Tower from a CM rooftop antenna and would hate to have to start watching NBC on cable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I live in SOMA near the CalTrain station. I have an unobstructed line-of-sight view of the Sutro Tower. Here's a list of internal antennas that DON'T work: Terk 55; Terk TV-10; MegaWave. I finally had to put a directional antenna on the roof. Since my OTA analog channels are haunted by ghosts, I clearly have a multi-path problem. This must be why getting the ATSC channels is so hard.

[This message has been edited by PJH (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PJH:
I live in SOMA near the CalTrain station. I have an unobstructed line-of-sight view of the Sutro Tower.
Ok, you can't get a signal any more direct that that!

Quote:
Originally posted by PJH:
I finally had to put a directional antenna on the roof. Since my OTA analog channels are haunted by ghosts, I clearly have a multi-path problem.
Did the directional roof antenna clear up the analog ghosts too? What model are you using?

I've always blamed many problems on that ugly (no Eiffel) tower 1 mile away: analog TV is impossible without cable, and still ghosty even with cable for the local channels, my old trusty cordless phone wouldn't work here without buzzing like crazy, in fact, no kind of radio-cordless anything works around here. I guess I should be thankful I don't glow in the dark yet.

Anyway - multipath is clearly the main problem for most of us here in San Francisco, and AT&T cable is unlikely to carry the HD signals in (some of) our lifetimes. So what solutions have people found? Highly directional rooftop antenna with a clear line of sight, RS bow-tie antennas work for some folks (like me, after MUCH trial/error placement), Silver Sensor has helped some, anything else? Oh yes, I almost forgot about that bent paper clip that worked pretty well too!

Well, share whatever you find out folks.

------------------

..Rick

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm in San Francisco, living in SOMA, on the 6th floor in a steel and concrete building near moscone center.

When I first got my DTC-100, I tried a TERK antenna.

Terrible performance... I couldn't get anything worth a damn. Later, I bought the Radio Shack Double-bow-tie.

Best $18 I ever spent. Works far better than the $75 TERK.

But here is what I found: It matters very much where in the apartment I place the antenna. On top of the TV, I get a few stations, and most others not reliably or not at all.

Placing the antenna just a few feet away, and I get everything from Sutro with no problem at all. My suggestion to everyone is to be creative and try different antenna placements. It really can make a night vs day difference.

Also, don't assume that the only direction that is good is the antenna facing Sutro... I found that for me, this works best, but I could also get pretty good reception facing 45 degrees off, by picking up a reflection off the next building .

Finally, my attempts to use a preamp were mixed... For some stations, it definitely made things worse.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:

Did the directional roof antenna clear up the analog ghosts too? What model are you using?
I ended up with a Channel Master 3016. It helped with the analog ghosts, but didn't clear them up. I get useable signals from all of the digital stations (except for 12, which is from San Jose, 90 degrees offset from Sutro). I am amazed on how hard it is to get a usable OTA signal here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.