AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life is not fair. I can't even get a good signal on 34 (9.1) from Falls Church and you're getting NYC.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am the highest rooftop in my neighborhood and there are no big buildings close to me. I am using my brand new CM4221 with the winegard 4700 preamp. I can actually improve my situation greatly if I move the antenna to the other side of my roof, but I just haven't gotten the needed tripod mount yet. It will be OK once I do. But NYC? no way.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
36 Posts
you will be happy when you get the tripod mount. my mount extends five feet above the rooftop of my townhouse and i am using c master 9521 rotor, as for nyc, the atmospheric conditions was just right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i'm still working on the nyc digital stations, i only received the analog ones. i believe their transmission towers are on low power. p.s. i received the wavy-dt norfolk channels last weekend and last night. i'll give it another try tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
signal reception was great last night. with my 4248 antenna pointed to the north,i was able to receive the philadelphia digital stations, whyy-dt 55-1 and wpvi dt 64-1. both changed to 12-1 and 6-1 on my dtc 100. i could not get the other stations because of wash d.c. digital and analog channels. the signals were so strong that i received two new york area channels in the analog format,channel 41 univision and channel 31 a pbs station.

·
Registered
979 Posts
solrackm-

Heh - I'm jealous too! Where exactly do you live in Alexandria? How high are you?

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmbatch:
I am the highest rooftop in my neighborhood and there are no big buildings close to me. I am using my brand new CM4221 with the winegard 4700 preamp. I can actually improve my situation greatly if I move the antenna to the other side of my roof, but I just haven't gotten the needed tripod mount yet. It will be OK once I do. But NYC? no way.

Dave,

Is your antennae mounted in your attic or outside on the roof. I live in Germantown and I will soon take the digital plunge. I believe I'm at a higher elevation so I'm wondering if I will be able to see similar results. Thanks for any input you can provide. Also, who did your intstall.

------------------

To Infinity and Beyond!!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My antenna is currently attached to a chimney mount on my roof, but there is a big oak tree directly in front of it when pointed towards Baltimore. If I move it about 25 feet to the other end on my house, it works fine. I had a friend hold it and move to different places to see what would happen.

I did my own install, it's not that hard to do. Just make sure you follow the grounding directions for the mast.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Dave,

I've reduced my configuration to one CM3021 antenna and a 0064DSB Channel Master preamp. I found a spot on the roof which optimizes reception on all DC and Baltimore stations, only Fox DC 5 gets iffy at times. I really wish I knew for sure what the heck is going on with the signals. Just moving the antenna a few feet up or down the roof changes reception on the channels. Also, I help set up my friend in Alexandria with the 4800 preamp... and can get 2 of the Baltimore stations at 95+ with HD-100. He's got a RS antenna, kinda like yours, the UHF section broke off and he reattached it and it points a little down towards the ground and right into a mesh of forest. He can get all the DC stations at 90+ without a preamp and without any adjustments. Go figure?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gerald C,

i am located in the mount vernon area off route one and russell rd, don't know exactly how high i am in terms of feet, but my antenna clears all trees including the one that is in front of my townhouse.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tam,

Good to hear from you. I am getting ready to mount a tripod and move my antenna to the spot you found. I really would like to see NYPD in HD. I'll let you know how it works out. Maybe I'll get to it today.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
36 Posts
tubey,

the channel master 4248 is 80"long,the 4251 is 7 feet similar looking to a satellite dish. there is one thats smaller than the 4248 but i forgot the model number.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From the look of this thread, outdoor antenna is the norm in No. Virginia. Has any one tried the Silver Sensor or any other indoor antenna and got it to work in the basement?

tixin.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi solrackm,

You're probably talking about the 4228. Not sure if the 4228 is carried here but they carry the 4248 much cheaper (about $30) than stark (about $45). Worth a shot.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
KeohiHDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm using the DTC-100 with an CM 4248 antenna and a CM UHF only preamp.

The antenna is located in the attic of my townhouse in Springfield, VA. Without a need for a rotor I'm able to pickup all the DC and all the Baltimore digital stations with minimum signal strength over 60.

Before I installed the preamp the signal from Baltimore stations was in the 20-50 range with a lot of dropouts. With the preamp the dropouts are virtually non-existent. The preamp was the best $60 I've spent so far (next to the $50 WinTV-D card that is ;-)

Tomasz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Kealii,

i purchased my 4248 and the cm rotor from them, i must say it was a pretty good investment. on a good night i can receive channels from long island to north carolina,even some of them in the digital format with the help of a cm preamp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.