AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 6" recessed can lighting. I was wondering if you can buy a kit to convert it to a different size say for instance the 3" with the moveable eyeball style? If so can I buy a conversion kit at my local home depot or is it more involved than this?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I don't know of any "kit", but the main problem is that the new eyeball's outer ring would be too small to cover the hole.

I would suggest just using eyeballs for the 6" cans. The balls themselves are about 4", and would be an exact replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't think of a kit that makes a 6" hole into a 3" hole. You will probably have to repair the ceiling and then recut your hole to the necessary size.

I guess you could manufacture your own insert consisting of a 6" ring with only the 3" hole. You would have to be careful of excessive heat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
what a job....I see two choices

1. Use the existing 6" location. This would involve removing the current fixture. I would cut out a square area that reveals 1/2 of the joists surrounding the fixture and cut a square drywall piece to screw back on once the new fixture is installed. Then mud the square seams.

2. Figure out how you can place the new 4" cans close to the current 6" to utiltize the current wiring but make a new hole for the 4" remodel can and patch over the old 6" hole. (you can remove the can portion by removing the screws and dropping it out leaving the frame installed) Obviously trying to maintain the lighting layout and/or function.

Either way, I hope you or a friend are really good drywall finishers.

Jim

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
This may be what you are looking for. The Halo lighting catalog has eyeball trims for both R30 lamps and for R20 lamps. The R20 or Par20 are normally used in 4 inch fixtures so this would give you the smaller eyeball for the larger fixture. A useful thing to know as I also prefer the smaller eyeballs.
http://www.bestbuyelectric.com/acata...sed_Trims.html

..Doyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.