AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking for what others have possibly used for recessed canned lighting in there rooms? There are so many choices of course and I know many of them will not be best for a theater room.

I am trying to avoid the lessons learned option of canned lighting. I am also open to other types of lighting if you feel canned lighting should just be avoided.

If you could post some recommendations of what is working for you that would be super helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just about to install these. I bought the white ones and spray painted the rings, as they come off easy enough.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Still haven't decided the bulb, although will prob be LED. I chose these due size, cost and functional; gimbal design.

Best of luck!

-=Kirt
Thanks did you do any sound proofing like DDW, channels, or clips? If so will these still be easy to install? Should you use a backer box (think that is what they are called) at all with lights like these?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks did you do any sound proofing like DDW, channels, or clips? If so will these still be easy to install? Should you use a backer box (think that is what they are called) at all with lights like these?
Floor and the walls and prit near everything else, sans the ceiling. I am building some sound proofing boxes around them, to also keep out of the insulation.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,384 Posts
my guide to recessed lights.

I've used these, see Bacon Race:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_16059-47842-105851-028_1z13djp__?productId=3014681&pl=1&Ntt=utilitech

-- throw away the halogen bulb, get a SunSun LED MR16 GU10 bulb. Be prepared for a very difficult wiring task as the junction box is tiny. They are probably the smallest diameter of the the lights I've used.

I've installed about 100 of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_289424-53058-9201101___?productId=1241365&pl=1&Ntt=utilitech+recessed

-throw away the bulb, larger junction box

I just tried these and they are a cheaper version of the above, large junction box. cheap in the contractor pack, bring your own LED bulbs. I think the Lowes version bulb swivel mount is better.

http://www.amazon.com/Globe-Electri...8-1&keywords=globe+electric+recessed+lighting

I just bought one of these to test and it you have limited headroom get them, comes with an LED bulb. The can is only 2 3/4 tall. That is remarkable and it is rated IC.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BAZZ-Fle...gned-for-Ceiling-Clearance-310LPL7W/204722808

You will note that all of these are remodel cans, put the wires in place, drywall the ceiling, cut a hole reach up and grab the wire, attach and push up into the hole.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm going to piggyback/hijack this thread. We recently became obsessed with Philips Hue bulbs... but they don't seem to make any color bulbs small enough to fit into shallow cans. Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strong post ^
I agree that was a super valuable post of information with a ton of options to investigate. The only other question I had is will any of these or should I install any of these options into sound proofing or minimizing backer boxes?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,384 Posts
Anytime you cut a hole in a drywall sound isolation bunker you need to think about the consequences. It is possible to design a theater without any holes for outlets, switches and recessed lighting. If you cut holes they need to be addressed. You can put lights in a perimeter soffit built inside the drywall shell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Why we are on the subject of lighting I am also looking for Warm LED dimmable rope light. I see some rope lighting used in some Big's builds, but are they LED lights? I can hardwire or I can have an outlet installed that is switched for dimming.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,384 Posts
the biggest problems with LED rope is making sure about it's dimming capability and dealing with the transformer that is required. You can overcome both ot theses issues. You just need to plan where to tuck the transformer (size varies) and get some recommendations on which rope will dim properly. It has been awhile since I've used an LED rope so I can't recall a particular model. Over the years I've had good luck with Bird Dog distributing as my source and you could call them. This product may work I have no hands on with it: http://www.birddogdistributing.com/Brilliant-120v-LED-Rope-Light-65ft-Spool.html

Some ropes are directional and you have to rotate the rope so it casts the light the way you want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Big, I was hoping to do a recessed light system in my perimeter sofit. These that you linked would be perfect. I'm planning on clips, GG and OSB /DW. What is the best way to try to soundproof these? Backer boxes I'm guessing? Are backer boxes pre-made?

I have a basement room with a 10" sofit framework. It's hard mounted to the ceiling joists.

Steve

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,384 Posts
the best way to soundproof lights in a soffit, is to build the soffit inside the drywall shell. If that train has left the station the next best approach is to use backer boxes. You can make your own or buy premade ones if they fit in your framing. After that, the last option is to put the bottom on the soffit first, install the lights and coat the backs of the lights with putty pads or Dynamat Extreme or Equiv.

Pre Made: http://isostore.com/shop/product/quietbox-recessed-light-soundproofing/

·
Registered
230 Posts
the best way to soundproof lights in a soffit, is to build the soffit inside the drywall shell. If that train has left the station the next best approach is to use backer boxes. You can make your own or buy premade ones if they fit in your framing. After that, the last option is to put the bottom on the soffit first, install the lights and coat the backs of the lights with putty pads or Dynamat Extreme or Equiv.

Pre Made: http://isostore.com/shop/product/quietbox-recessed-light-soundproofing/
Thanks Jeff!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm planning a small theater room and looking for some advice on lighting. The room is 12'6 x 18'. It has a perimeter sofit in which I had planned 10 canister lights, 3 per side and 2 in front and 2 in back. These would be the smaller 4" round cans. I was also considering 4 wall sconces, 1 per column. Both would be on separate switches and both would be dimmable.

Is this to much for a small room? How much light do get from the 4" cans?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I'm planning a small theater room and looking for some advice on lighting. The room is 12'6 x 18'. It has a perimeter sofit in which I had planned 10 canister lights, 3 per side and 2 in front and 2 in back. These would be the smaller 4" round cans. I was also considering 4 wall sconces, 1 per column. Both would be on separate switches and both would be dimmable.

Is this to much for a small room? How much light do get from the 4" cans?

If that is a black cave of a room, that might just equate to adequate lighting for cleaning the theater. The fact you have two zones, and they are dimmable, means you won't have too much light.
If anything I'd be considering more zones, to add more lighting flexibility. Some people like a little bit of light in the back of the room (not me) , so you might not want those front sconces to light up while having the rears on.

You also might want to consider ceiling height and beam spread, and how much lighting does the combination of the two, give you?

·
Registered
230 Posts
If that is a black cave of a room, that might just equate to adequate lighting for cleaning the theater. The fact you have two zones, and they are dimmable, means you won't have too much light.
If anything I'd be considering more zones, to add more lighting flexibility. Some people like a little bit of light in the back of the room (not me) , so you might not want those front sconces to light up while having the rears on.

You also might want to consider ceiling height and beam spread, and how much lighting does the combination of the two, give you?

The room has no windows, so very dark. The ceiling height is 8'. As far as the beam width I assume you're referring to the light being projected down? If so, I'm uncertain. I was planning to use an LED bulb.

I guess if anything it wouldn't be to much light.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts