AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to install can lighting and before i started drilling the holes im testing the placement and ran into a problem thats new to me.

There is an air duct running in the joist channel. The I-joist are around 11"+ high (i think) so there is still room but the CAN could/will mostly likely touch the duct. It is wrapped in a foil like material, house was built in 2010-2011. Can the recessed can light touch the duct? I have read recommendations of placing fiber glass between the two while using IC rated cans....any thoughts?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,426 Posts
That looks like a flex duct with an outer layer of plastic, a layer of insulation and an inner sleeve of plastic.

As far as lights Yes, use an IC rated can but you should also be sure the can doesn't touch the plastic as it might melt. Some fiberglass Insulation would do the trick to keep the plastic off the can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bigdc, just to make sure I understand, should I place/wedge a piece of batt insulation in between the two? This will certainly lead to the batt laying against/on the can housing which I know gets hot!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again big,I did know about ic but just wanted to make sure with the additional force the wedge will generate it wouldn't be an issue. Regarding the insulation, would you recommend anything other than just the ordinary cheap stuff?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts