AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m to the lighting/electrical portion of my build and need to get some lights. I’m looking to do 6-8 recessed led lights that I can dim and control through my harmony remote. I’m researching to see if one kind is better than another. Seems like the new construction cans will rattle on low frequencies. Retrofit cans seems like they would be better as they don’t have a metal can up in the ceiling. I found and old thread/URL] that gives a lot of good examples of retrofit lights. So I’m thinking of going with a contractor pack and wiring them to a Z Wave dimmer connected to a SmartThings hub which I’m thinking I should be able to use to dim with my harmony remote. Am I correct? Retrofit > New construction can?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,253 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I'd wholeheartedly agree with Jeff. Having done both, it's only retrofit from here going forward. Much easier and quicker.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will my theory of wiring all the lights in a contractor pack to something like a Z Wave dimmer switch work for automation with a harmony remote? It would connect to a SmartThings hub which does compatible on the Logitech site. Or is there a different/better method for this?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I don't have a good way to control my Z-wave stuff with my Harmony remote.

Admittedly I don't have the Logitech Home Extender, which might bridge that gap, but I hate to spend the $$$ to just test it out ;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I was just looking into the Insteon dimmer and hub combo with the same goal of being able to operate the dimmer using an IR remote. From what I've read, it can't be done using IR, but you can use a smartphone app to communicate with the hub. The dimmer/hub combo is on the order of $200 or so.

This is frustrating because I want to use LED can lighting in my new build, but my 15 year old Lutron Grafik Eye won't work with LEDs as far as I've been able to determine. My Harmony remote worked nicely with the GE.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was just looking into the Insteon dimmer and hub combo with the same goal of being able to operate the dimmer using an IR remote. From what I've read, it can't be done using IR, but you can use a smartphone app to communicate with the hub. The dimmer/hub combo is on the order of $200 or so.

This is frustrating because I want to use LED can lighting in my new build, but my 15 year old Lutron Grafik Eye won't work with LEDs as far as I've been able to determine. My Harmony remote worked nicely with the GE.
I have this exact setup. Same lights BIG recommended as well.

I use a Harmony Ultimate Remote with Harmony HUB and the Insteon Hub and Dimmer Switch. I can control my lights with my remote just fine. Even add them to activities... such that "Watch BluRay" will turn the lights off and "Power Off" will turn them back on. The one thing I CAN'T do is set the lights to a separate button. For example... the Harmony Ultimate (and possibly others?) allows for short button press and long button press to do different things. So I WANT to press pause and have the lights slightly dim up to move around the room, then press play and have the lights go off again. THAT is what I can't do and haven't found anything Harmony related that can. Logitech themselves even says it's impossible though there is a video on YouTube of someone doing just this!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts