AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2x4 furred ceiling with RISC-1's and 7/8" hat channel for my ceiling. It will have 2 layers of 5/8" drywall.

My electrician suggested screwing the recessed lights mounting arms to the hat channel in order to get the lighting low enough for the drywall to sit flush with the face of the can....

Does this sound right?

Thanks.

Elmer

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll probably use remodel type cans in my ceiling. It secures to the drywall with clips, not the joists. My only questions is, is 2 layers of 5/8's drywall too thick for the clips? Also, if the can is going to come in contact with insulation, be sure to use IC rated cans!

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
The HAT channel runs perpendicular to the joists. Take two pieces of 1/2" plywood and attach to the joists. The plywood should be a bit longer than the IC housing and be attached in such a manner that the bottom edge extents down below the joist to just above where the back surface of the drywall will end up (don't let the plywood touch the drywall). Attach the IC can hangers to the plywood. There is an alternative method...
http://www.pac-intl.com/decoupled.htm

look at the bottom drawing "Recessed Light Assembly".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Erskine
The HAT channel runs perpendicular to the joists. Take two pieces of 1/2" plywood and attach to the joists. The plywood should be a bit longer than the IC housing and be attached in such a manner that the bottom edge extents down below the joist to just above where the back surface of the drywall will end up (don't let the plywood touch the drywall). Attach the IC can hangers to the plywood. There is an alternative method...

Dennis,

I like the decoupling clips, but its states that they are not classified for use in fire rated assemblies.

Excuse my ignorance (I seem to say that a lot...Hmmm....): Does this mean the inspector would balk at their application in a theater situation with standard household cans?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure he'd balk at it if you used remodel housings in an assembly as pictured. With IC cans, I doubt he'd have a problem.
Great. Thanks. I will be using the IC's due to sorrounding insulation.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm at an early stage of building my HT (studding out walls now), are recessed lights recommended? While I'm not double drywalling, I am going to use RISC-1s w/ hat channel. I was thinking that recessed lights might more easily allow sound leakage. All things being equal and you want to keep sound loss to a minimum, are these lights optimal?

I was thinking that I'd use scones or something - installed on a wall channel.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Dennis,

You are a scholar and a gentleman... (and I won't tell anybody!). :)

Thank you for all your support.

Elmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.