AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install lights for a home theater in the basement. I'd like to put in some real nice recessed lights. Does anyone have any advice on what to go with? Size, kind of bulbs, etc.. any info you can provide would be a huge help. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I don't know if I can give you a direct answer, alot of it would depend on what you like. Here are a few questions that might help narrow it down.

-Have you thought about how recessed lights are going to affect sound isolation?

-How high is your ceiling?

-What is your per light budget?

-Do you want them to be dimmable?

-How bright do you want it to be?

CJ

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I'm with CJO,

A lot of it depends on your space, personal preference, budget, etc. etc. just as CJO has said. A general rule of thumb is that your can lights will project a circle of light approximately the same diameter as how high they are mounted. For example if you have lights mounted at eight feet the circle of light will be approximately eight feet in diameter. Of course this is just a rule of thumb but it is close enough to get you close.

In my application I went with 6" cans which is pretty much standard and the cheaper of the options out there. There are enough options out there to make your head spin for sure. During my build I was directed to the company USA Lighting here , they were fast and very reasonably price and have a great selection with just about anything you could want or need. Check them out I was very happy with their offerings.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I second USA Lights.... I got my 17 4" lights and black baffles from them.

I went with the smaller 4" cans since my ceiling isn't that tall. Smaller cans can give a lower ceiling an illusion of height.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've purchased 9 4-inch recessed lights and 12 6-inch lights (7 of the 4-inch are low voltage) from USA light. I had one order mistake (their fault), which they replaced promptly.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I should also state that I'm going to build boxes around my lights and I've ordered non-low voltage lights for the HT. The low voltage lights are for the kitchen, although the rumored buzzing when dimmed does not appear for these lights. However, the light fixtures themselves are much too big to put in my ceiling when also surrounding the light fixture with a box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-Have you thought about how recessed lights are going to affect sound isolation?

-How high is your ceiling?

-What is your per light budget?

-Do you want them to be dimmable?

-How bright do you want it to be?

I have 9 foot ceilings in the basement, with the drop ceiling yet to be installed..my guess would be just over 8 ft....

Yes I would like them to be dimmable. Budget.. I dont wanta spend a TON of money on them, I'm looking to put 6 of these in over the "HT area". Im having 8 wall mounted lights put in to light most the room. These 6 over the HT area are there to add some lights on top of that immediate area and too look cool.

As for Brightness.. I'd like them to get pretty bright, but again, they'll look real nice dimmed down too..

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My 4" can lights take PAR20 halogens which are dimmable and give off a good incandescent-like color temperature.

No nearly as efficient as LED or compact florescent, but they are dimmable on line voltage and come in a variety of beam-types and even colors (spot, flood, etc).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree - that's it's really personal preference.

I have 23 - 4" cans in my small theater. 6 of them currently have 50w R20 bulbs and the remaining have 30w R20 bulbs. I use a 6 zone grafix eye so the lights are almost never at 100% power. In fact, for normal movie viewing, only the rope light in the soffit trey and the step lights are on, and they are only on at 40 or 50% if that.

I used 4" cans because with the size of my room they looked appropriate.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLethal /forum/post/16932258

I have 9 foot ceilings in the basement, with the drop ceiling yet to be installed..my guess would be just over 8 ft....

...As for Brightness.. I'd like them to get pretty bright, but again, they'll look real nice dimmed down too...

In general, 6" recessed lights are less expensive and give off more light (they can handle higher-wattage bulbs) than 4" in cans. However, I like the look of 4" cans better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLethal /forum/post/16932258

Yes I would like them to be dimmable. Budget.. I dont wanta spend a TON of money on them, I'm looking to put 6 of these in over the "HT area". Im having 8 wall mounted lights put in to light most the room. These 6 over the HT area are there to add some lights on top of that immediate area and too look cool.

Right now, if you want dimmable and don't want to spend a fortune, you'll want regular incandescent or halogen bulbs. CFL's don't dim very well and the LED ones that do, cost a fortune (around $80 per bulb).

Again, have you thought about how recessed lights are going to affect sound isolation? Though, if you are putting in a drop ceiling, you probably aren't too concerned with sound isolation.

CJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could you elaborate on what aspects of a recessed light make it "really nice" to you?

When I think "really nice", I think MR16 (for color temp and rendering.) This will require you to spend 4x more money on a dimmer however.

When I think "really nice" I think I want a 10 degree throw angle (to provide a 10 inch circle of light on the floor for that dramatic, art gallery feel.)

When I think about taking it to the next price point, I think about cnc'd aluminum trims (offered by IRIS) and when I go a step beyond that price wise, I think about the GEOMETRIX Swarovski crystal can trims that look like tiny bubbles floating in mid air.

You can spend as much on lighting as you like, but the point of diminishing return arrives quickly.

If you want small, don't forget the 3" cans that hit the market 2 years ago such as the HALO H3. (I would recommend against the GU10 fixtures because they don't hold a candle to the MR lamps)

Unless you drop big dollars, you just won't see much difference between a good HALO or JUNO stock item (provided you choose a PAR, MR16, or MR11 lamp), and another product costing 3x more.

I'm sorry if this has added to the confusion. I just wanted to throw some additional information on the table. It really does come down to what YOU think is really nice. Small and Halogen is a good place to start though.

rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts