AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at different recessed lights for the soffits. Unfortunately the soffit is already built and stuffed with insulation.The builder was going to use retro recessed cans later. Now I am finding that most of the retro cans are IC. I started reading about recessed cans in AVS forum and is getting confused about the choices.. Many are recommending low voltage. Can any one suggest any IC low voltage ,I can use in a retro fit with out me having to rip up the soffit already built ?. I have read about ardee low voltage and seagull low voltage. Any one knows a place in or near Atlanta I can buy them ?.

K.G.

·
Registered
170 Posts
KG,

Are the soffits finished; drywall taped and mudded? If not, take it down and use IC rated recessed cans. If the siffit is already stuffed with insulation it's going to be tough to stuff a "remodeling" can (retro-fit) of either type in there.

There are two different types of LV; magnetic and electronic. The inexpensive ones are magnetic and they tend to hum a bit. Some manufacturers produce a LV can that uses a remote transformer. The can itself is typically very small but, of course, you need to be able to run the LV wires to it from the remote mounted transformer.

Dan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question is do I really need to stuff the soffit with insulation ?. I built the soffit after the 2 drywall with GG in between. It is framed with 2x4 and covered by MDF.

Thanks, K.G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.