AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a dedicated HT and I'm starting to plan ahead for new speakers. I like a challenge so I'm going to try to DIY my LCR speakers. I know the RBR-Kit and the statements are kinda like apples to oranges with the statements being a "full range" and the RBR are more of a "monitor" type. My question is that if you were building a 2200 sq ft home theater which speakers would you go with? They most likely be powered by a higher end Onkyo receiver, possibly an 876. My sub will be a Mal X 18 probably in a ported sonotube powered by an EP2500.

They will be used for 80% movies / 20% music.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Yeah, the RBR's are front vented so they can be placed closer to a wall, but are very deep. You are talking about two completely different types of speakers, btw. I'd go for statements myself. Probably have better dynamics as mentioned above. A single midwoofer vs. dual woofer? Five speakers vs. two?

Btw, your new h/t design shows the first seating row as being in the middle of the room? That is not ideal and you could potentially experience severe bass nulls at 50% room depth:

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

·
Registered
880 Posts
While I imagine the RBR is a great monitor you have pretty much sumed it up. For HT, you would definately be SPL limited by a monitor vs the much larger statements. With a Mal-X taking up the low end I don't think a RBR would be able to keep up. I can't say which 'sounds' better, but I do have the statements, mini statements, statements center, and now 2 sealed Mal-Xs for my theater/game room and I'm loving every minute of it. The open backed design of the statements creates a very large soundstage which is excellent for both movies and music. My favorite part of these speakers is actually the Fountek ribbon tweeter which is very easy on the ears even at higher SPL. If you can meet their location requirements you certainly will not be dissapointed. If you had the oppurtunity check out htguide.com to visit with the designers of both of these speakers and maybe have an oppurtunity to visit someone local with one of these designs.

Good luck,

Nate

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I know the speakers are two different animals. I've been planning on building the statements when my budget allows, but the RBR seemed like a good deal right now. OK, so statements it is. But I'll be using my old Yamahas in the beginning. I have a couple more questions. For center channel, should I build a 3rd statement or build the statement center. I'm leaning towards a 3rd full size since I will be using an AT screen. As far as surrounds I was planning on using the Emotiva ERD-1 for rear and side. Would they be an ok match-up for the statements?

As far as my seating being in the middle, I'll have to take actually measurements. The plan on my build is just a rough sketch. A few things have changed so far. I have a false wall 36" from the front wall for my AT screen. I have one solid 1 3/4" mahogany door instead of the 2 glass doors and the actual columns will be much smaller.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
80% movies?

I would go with Seaton, Danley or Geddes type designs. The best HT speakers are the ones that handle the highest SPL peaks. The RBR speakers are really not Main HT speakers IMO. Statements are fine.

Many of us are doing waveguide 2-ways designs recently, Augerpro has a project and I ahave a project. Mine is all active so you should follow Augerpro's project for all the passive crossover designs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy /forum/post/17025783

For center channel, should I build a 3rd statement or build the statement center. I'm leaning towards a 3rd full size since I will be using an AT screen.

I'm going with 3 sealed Statements across the front behind a DIY SMX screen. This will put the center speaker mostly on axis to the listeners but I don't think this is going to be a problem. The sealed Statements (currently operating in stereo only) integrate well with my Velodyne DD-18...although I am considering building an 18hz tapped horn sub.

I see your HT build is underway. Looking forward to see how things progress. I plan to begin construction soon as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela /forum/post/17026772

I'm going with 3 sealed Statements across the front behind a DIY SMX screen. This will put the center speaker mostly on axis to the listeners but I don't think this is going to be a problem. The sealed Statements (currently operating in stereo only) integrate well with my Velodyne DD-18...although I am considering building an 18hz tapped horn sub.

I see your HT build is underway. Looking forward to see how things progress. I plan to begin construction soon as well.

I'm a total noob when it comes to HT & audio. What was your reasoning for going with the sealed cabinets?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy /forum/post/17027268

I'm a total noob when it comes to HT & audio. What was your reasoning for going with the sealed cabinets?

I went with the sealed configuration because I prefer the sound over a ported enclosure ever so slightly and because in a home theater arrangement I'm really depending on a sub to take care of things below 40-50hz. I get great mid bass punch from the sealed Statements and they cross nicely with the sub. There are some that rely on the extension of the ported version sans sub to listen to music and then crank up the sub for movies. I'm sure either variety would work well.

Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela /forum/post/17028291

I went with the sealed configuration because I prefer the sound over a ported enclosure ever so slightly and because in a home theater arrangement I'm really depending on a sub to take care of things below 40-50hz. I get great mid bass punch from the sealed Statements and they cross nicely with the sub. There are some that rely on the extension of the ported version sans sub to listen to music and then crank up the sub for movies. I'm sure either variety would work well.

Mike

And you can also build them quite a bit smaller, which is important to some people.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela /forum/post/17028291

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy_Mike /forum/post/17028884

And you can also build them quite a bit smaller, which is important to some people.

I"ll have to think about it. I will be using a sub and I'm not worried about size, since they will be hidden. hmmm

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here's some additional information from Jim's original thread that may be of some use: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=770 .

The ribbons will need to be maintained at ear level in any case. One could build the "sealed" Statements using the ported configuration sealing off the appropriate volume. That would give you a place for the crossovers that's not in the woofer cavity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.