AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a colleague of mine has been in a couple of stores and they told him that plasma displays need to be 'recharged' with gas every few years.... Somehow I missed that as a requirement.

Anybody able to confirm/dispell that info?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Its a lie!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have this strange feeling of deja vu right about now.

·
Super Moderator
21,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomB
So, a colleague of mine has been in a couple of stores and they told him that plasma displays need to be 'recharged' with gas every few years.... Somehow I missed that as a requirement.

Anybody able to confirm/dispell that info?
this is not true- plasmas never have to be recharged

we have heard reports that some stores are telling customers this:

IT IS NOT SO!

excuse me for shouting-it gets me so mad anyone would be told this

Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No question, it should be in the FAQ. Especially if it is a tactic.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
I change my plasma every 3,000 miles (oops I mean hours) or once a year whichever comes first. I use Pio's new "super plasma" refills available directly from Pio. I have to recycle my old plasma, however, to a special hazardous waste site. Very costly, but hey I love my 503cmx. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pio charges too much for their "super plasma." You can get a cheaper, "knock-off" plasma at blow-it-out-your-gas.com. The color fades more quickly though, so you will have to do a refill more often. ;-)

Chris

·
Registered
824 Posts
The FAQ knows all:

"Misconception #2: The gas plasma inside the plasma TV can be refilled or replaced when it burns out. This is false. "

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
We should also break it out as a separate question. I'm starting a FAQ update thread soon (today or later this week if I can't get to it today).

·
Super Moderator
21,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Sh
The FAQ knows all:

"Misconception #2: The gas plasma inside the plasma TV can be refilled or replaced when it burns out. This is false. "
Thank you for finding this- and thanks to Deeann

all kidding aside- I am really concerned that a new visitor to this forum might be misled- as outrageous as it is- about this topic

Mark

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The real tragedy is our country's dependence on foreign plasma gas. This has no doubt forced our government into shady alliances in order to supply us rich Americans with the plasma gas we DEMAND! What we need is to develop a domestic, renewable substitute before we sell our grandchildren's HDTV watching short.

;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not see the entry for this in the FAQ. Perhaps the two topics in that entry might be worth putting in their own entry?

By the way, would it be possible to make the FAQ into a pdf file, so it could be downloaded and sent to someone? Might be a worthwhile thing. I often field plasma questions from my friends, and usually end up with the 'I'll look it up' answer, while I come back to the forum and do a search.... Would be nice to be able to just send them the FAQ.

OK, made a pdf file of it, but can't attach it. Is there sufficient interest in it?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure where it 'originated' but one of my colleagues was recentely in the Sony Store (no rude comments, please) in NYC and was told there by a salesman. In addition, he has a relative working for Phillips, who also told him.... I guess I was not around for the first few iterations of this issue, so was unaware it was bogus (though strongly suspected it was).

I told him to go to Harveys, which had a much greater selection, and possibly some better technical knowledge (depends on who you talk to there).

Anyway, he asked me, knowing I have been doing the long research thing (mostly here, thank you very much), and I pointed him here, then scanned the FAQ, and posted my question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Misinformation is an amazing thing. If we see it in print...or somebody tells us...then it must be true no matter who/what the source is.

The propagation of this myth will ensure that 'deja vu' feeling will be revisited every couple of months for the next year or so as these threads will continue to pop up regardless of the FAQs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to see how well Gateway trained its sales folks about their new Plasma, so I did an online chat with one of them. I asked, "Does the plasma need to be recharged?" She said, "No. It plugs into the wall."

That's probably the safest answer....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.